• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Trying to hit 4.0, E8400

SilverSliver

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Feb 23, 2004
Messages
13,213
Well, I'm having a slight issue trying to hit that 4.0 number. I'm currently 3.8, 24/7 stable at 1.296v, stock volts on the NB and 5-5-5-15 @ stock 2.1v on the ram and a 333/800 strap.

Trying to hit 4.0, I have to raise the voltage on the core to 1.36 or so to run Orthos more than a minute. I also raise my NB to 1.4 or so to account for the higher FSB.

My issue lies in that when I try to run IntelBurnTest at that voltage, RealTemps load goes to around 69-71c, and then my motherboard gives me a single beep and shuts down -- I assume thermal protection -- but I can't find anyway to decipher the single beep. Thermal protection is off in my bios. Any ideas? 4.0 is not important to me, honestly, especially with that sort of voltage -- but I'm curious why it can't get there.
 
Well, I'm certainly not an expert, but those temps (under load) look high to me.

I have a similar setup you started with (3.82@1.3vcore, 4-5-4-15 @2.1 volts) and I idle at around 36c, load at about 53c.

Maybe you should see if you can tighten up your ram a bit. I'd imaging your ram can hit the timings I have.
 
My temps with Orthos are 59 load at that voltage. At 3.8, my temp is 53 with Orthos. My temps have always seemed a bit high to me, but there was a slight reduction when I re-applied thermal and bolted down my Xigmatek, I also added 2 more intakes and cut a 140mm exhaust at the top. Airflow seems pretty fair now. My idle is also 36C at 3.8.

IntelBurnTest gives me about 15-20C greater temps.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't tightening ram make it more difficult for me to hit 4.0 stable given my current strap?
 
You need to relax mate. Some chips just won't get there, ever. I've dreamed of getting my E8200 closer to the 4Ghz mark, but I've limited myself to a max of +10% over the stock voltage. It's still too new a toy, you know?:p

You've Oc'ed it pretty far already. It's only guaranteed to run at stock speed, so anything over that is a plus.

Else strap on the water and bang Vcore up to a manly 1.5V! But don't cry if it starts smoking...:D
 
Before overclocking the CPU, find how fast the motherboard and memory can go.
Then you know what is the limiting factor.

At the moment, it looks like you have no idea what is the causing the limit.
 
Back
Top