trying to get router working..... but it's not

skinlab

Gawd
Hiya,

I just moved to Dubai, and i'm trying to setup my network so i can use the net on both pc's. I have a linksys BEFSR41 which worked flawlessly in Canada. the modem im using is a Scientific Atlanta WebSTAR 2000 USB modem.

here's what happens:

-i can unplug the cable from my modem to the pc, yet i will still have net access, as the modem is directly plugged into my pc through usb.
tried plugging the modem through the WAN and Uplink ports on my router, and placing both my pc and the other in one of the designated slots to get net access, it will still work here for the reason stated above, but not on the other pc
-tried plugging my pc directly to the router using both WAN and Uplink (separatly) with the other pc connected to the router, and still no go

the other pc will detect that a cable is plugged, but no net access. i have it to get an up automatically, but ive tried inserting my ip as well, with no luck.

something to note: i've tried plugging my pc to the router, and my modem to the router, but i cannot access the router's settings (192.168.1.1) as the router will not detect my pc when i plug it in (the modem is plugged into the WAN port)

any clues?

thanks.

It should go like this:

(outside world) Cable or DSL to modem WAN port
Modem LAN port to Router WAN port
PCs to Router LAN ports (either UTP or USB, but not both)

i tried that, nothing will work unless the modem is plugged through the usb port into my pc...

i know it's odd, but hell, im stuck and im all out of ideas

When you plug that non-Internet seeing PC into your router's LAN port, does the light on the router come on? Wondering if the NIC in that PC wants a crossover cable or something.

HTPC Rookie said:
When you plug that non-Internet seeing PC into your router's LAN port, does the light on the router come on? Wondering if the NIC in that PC wants a crossover cable or something.

yes the router's lights for that port will turn on, but no connection.
i'm using the same cables i used in canada, so dont really see what the issue could be....

Back