Trying to get ports to forward on router. Need help.

Mopower

Gawd
I need to forward ports 9000 and 2051 for a security system. I have tried two different routers with no success. The first was a Linksys WRT110. I followed the directions. Forwarded the ports to a static IP I put on my laptop. The IP is outside of the DHCP range on the router. I have internet connectivity.

Then I went to http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ and checked the ports. They are still closed. I shut off the firewall on my PC and had the same results.

Then I tried doing the same on a TP-LINK router and had the same results. The ports are closed. I then connected my laptop directly to a DSL modem that is set to bridge mode. Obtained an IP on the laptop and tried to test the ports. They are still closed.

What am I doing wrong? Is there something I need to do on the PC to open the ports other than shut off the firewall? I do not need these to be open on my PC. I am just using it to test the forwarding of the ports for this security system.

You need to forward these ports to the IP of your dvr not your laptop. Reason why it's showing these ports closed is because you have nothing listening on them on your laptop.

You need to forward these ports to the IP of your dvr not your laptop. Reason why it's showing these ports closed is because you have nothing listening on them on your laptop.

+1

Also make sure your DSL modem isn't a router itself. Lots of DSL companies use Modem/Router devices, so it could have a firewall turned on blocking the incoming traffic.

Yep you are right. The DVR instructions say to go to the web site I listed to see if the ports are open. No web browser on the DVR so I'm not sure how you would do this. Anyway I got it working. Thanks.

DVR doesn't need a browser to check. when u go to the site to check ports it will test it from outside of your network and your firewall/router will know what to do. when request will hit on those ports and firewall/routing rule matches it will redirect that to those ports and since dvr software is running and ports are listening they will be reported as opened.

DVR doesn't need a browser to check. when u go to the site to check ports it will test it from outside of your network and your firewall/router will know what to do. when request will hit on those ports and firewall/routing rule matches it will redirect that to those ports and since dvr software is running and ports are listening they will be reported as opened.

Good to know. Thanks

Back