Trying to get my neice hooked up to my network...

She has Win Microsoft Error on her old laptop :-(

When I connect a usb wifi port, the pc starts running and then stops. I get unknown usb device in my devices. Anyone got any ideas?

You need to provide more info.

What USB network adapter?

Did you install the drivers for it?

What model laptop?

What OS?

What is the exact error messge?

Ancient laptop.

I told the error message.

netgear wireless usb 2.0 adaptor on a linksys router...

I said Win Microsoft Error >:eek:

Installed drivers first like it said.

Is there an error message in the event viewer?

So far we know Microsoft ME, and it is a Windows Error...

Right click device in device manger > choose update driver > point to the folder containing new driver files

You've really got to communicate better. Not everyone (in fact, probably very few of us) knows that "Win Microsoft Error" means "Windows ME". Don't try to be cute, just give us the information if you want help.

What do you mean the PC "starts running and then stops"? It should have been running before you plug in the NIC. Do you mean the NIC works and then doesn't, or do you mean the PC is locking up? Is there a specific error message, or a hard lock in the desktop?

And "ancient" is not a model or brand of laptop. That's important information.

PopeKevinI said:
You've really got to communicate better. Not everyone (in fact, probably very few of us) knows that "Win Microsoft Error" means "Windows ME". Don't try to be cute, just give us the information if you want help.

What do you mean the PC "starts running and then stops"? It should have been running before you plug in the NIC. Do you mean the NIC works and then doesn't, or do you mean the PC is locking up? Is there a specific error message, or a hard lock in the desktop?

And "ancient" is not a model or brand of laptop. That's important information.

x1000

Back