Trying to get GTX 780s to fold in Linux

Carbon_Rod

Gawd
I got fed up with the driver crashing on me every 2 days under Windows... I need to try something else. So I figured I would try Ubuntu (or ANY Linux really... Ubuntu is just the first one I thought of).

But I'm getting hung up on trying to add the GPU slots to the folding client. Whenever I go to add a GPU to the client, it says something like "...GPU 0 not found" or "No more GPUs". I'm using the "nvidia-325" package found on the xorg-edgers repository. Everything looks to have installed correctly. I've also tried updating GPUs.txt, no luck.

After installing the nvidia drivers, everything seems to work after a reboot. I can pull up the nvidia control panel and both GPUs are listed there.

Tried using the latest folding client (7.3.6) under Ubuntu 12.04, 13.04, and Xubuntu 13.04 all with the same results.

Any ideas?

I'm about to try installing Fedora to see if it gives me any different results.

EDIT: I had this problem even when I first tried to install the folding client and get it working in Windows. At that time, however, I just went into the BIOS and disabled a bunch of onboard devices I wasn't going to use and then I was able to add both GPU slots. I tried the same thing this time with my Linux installs, and I still can't add GPU slots because the folding client doesn't recognize any of the GPUs.

Last edited:
I'm using Mint 15 and folding core 17's with a 660ti. mint has always been easier to load video drivers for me. its also my daily driver machine.

Well, back to the drawing board.

Fedora was a no go.

Mint, for some reason, could not see any of the most recent drivers in the repository. For GTX 780, I need at least 319.xx because that's when the 780's were first supported. Unfortunately, Mint could not see nor load any of those versions from the repository. So that's where I left that one to try something else.

I'm going to try installing from the archive downloaded from the NVidia website rather than the repository and see if that makes any difference.

I've used Nvidia GPU's with boinc under linux but never FAH. The repository drivers are usually out of date, and do not contain the cuda stuff you need (Not really sure if you need it for FAH). Check out this link, it's what I used to get boincing with Ubuntu and Mint in the past.
http://sn0v.wordpress.com/2012/12/07/installing-cuda-5-on-ubuntu-12-04/

Not sure if it's outdated now, as I was using it with Ubuntu 12.04 and Mint 13 with a GTX 5 series card.

I run Ubuntu 13.04 with 319.32 driver for the same repository as OP. Using a GTX 780 from gigabyte and a 660Ti from Elsa on one board. Works perfect beside the current NV 36h-driver bug.

Can you share your config-file ?

So, what you're telling me is that the bug that causes the driver to crash every 36 hours is still present in Linux? That was the issue I was trying to remedy by hopefully switching to Linux. If it's still present in Linux, then I guess that saves me some time and effort trying to get my 780's to fold in Linux. I'll stick with Windows and just muscle through the 36 hour bug thing. Maybe one day NVidia will fix that issue... though they are currently denying it's a problem.

I'm using the 310.44 drivers in Mint with my 660ti. I'm posting on this machine and it has not crashed yet. it runs 24/7. gets about 60kppd.

NV agreed on the issue as per their forum; the next driver should contain the fix; end of August ? Until then I just reboot the box every night before going to bed. Not a big deal; but of course not nice, too.

Just did some more checking, the drivers I'm using don't support the 780. Need 320.xx and above. Oh well. sorry for the interruption.

I saw an article here at [H] that nVidia released some new drivers.

Have the problems requiring a reboot every 36 hours been fixed with the new drivers?

326.80 did fix the TDR issue. It also appeared to slow down folding by around 5-10%. I believe it's Windows-only for now.

Wow, mixed feelings on that news. Well, it's good news that the TDR is fixed. I'll have to give it a shot once I have my rigs back up and running*. I suppose reduced performance is the lesser of two evils. I can actually leave the rig running without having to worry about the driver crashing while I'm not watching it.

* Had a few delays getting the electrician to install me some new 20A circuits for my folding riggery... probably going to be back folding sometime next week.

I tried rolling all the way back to 314.22 with a modified .inf to recognize the 780, which I hadn't done before, but I was seeing the same slower speeds. I don't know if that's normal or if something got carried over from the 326.80 installation. I ended up going back to 320.49 since I use that computer daily and don't mind rebooting it.

I tried rolling all the way back to 314.22 with a modified .inf to recognize the 780, which I hadn't done before, but I was seeing the same slower speeds. I don't know if that's normal or if something got carried over from the 326.80 installation. I ended up going back to 320.49 since I use that computer daily and don't mind rebooting it.

That's the route I took as well... I also INF modded the 314.22 installer and tried them on my 780's. I experienced the same slower folding performance with the 314.22 drivers. This was a couple months before 326.80 was even released so I can confirm that the slower performance using 314.22 is probably normal. IIRC, I had the 314.22 drivers running long enough to experience a driver crash using them as well and after that I re-installed the 320.49 drivers since at least the PPD was better.

Back