Trying to Get a Video Feed, Laptop Screen Broken....

Sithtiger

Weaksauce
Ok, so I received an older laptop from someone, a Gateway NE56R43u. So the screen is broken....a big crack in it, can't see anything. It needs to be replaced and I plan on doing so when I get money, but until then I'm trying to see if anything else is damaged. I'm using an external monitor, but it only works when I get into Windows. I can't get a picture in DOS or even get into the BIOS. So when Windows comes up, I can see everything...through the external monitor that is. I went to upgrade it to Windows 10 and everything seemed fine, but it's either stuck on something or it's a part where it's not in Windows yet and needs some sort of manual input, but I can't see anything. The external monitor isn't showing anything. The monitor I'm using is an old Lite-On LCD. I'm using a VGA input. Again, works in Windows, but it's stuck and I can't see anything. Any ideas on how to get it back to where I can see it again? Thanks.

most laptops you have to disconnect the lcd panel and then it will automatically go to the external for bios and everything. the reason it works in windows is because windows detects the external and switches over. without the lcd connected the external will become the primary device and work. easiest way would to be to disassemble the lid and disconnect the panel. then for a replacement I would recommend laptopscreen.com they might even have instructions on replacing the lcd if you need help even getting it apart and disconnected. good luck!

most laptops you have to disconnect the lcd panel and then it will automatically go to the external for bios and everything. the reason it works in windows is because windows detects the external and switches over. without the lcd connected the external will become the primary device and work. easiest way would to be to disassemble the lid and disconnect the panel. then for a replacement I would recommend laptopscreen.com they might even have instructions on replacing the lcd if you need help even getting it apart and disconnected. good luck!

Thanks, Well I did have to click an icon on the keyboard to switch to the external lcd. I can't say for sure if I ever saw it boot showing the BIOS on the external lcd. It was only when I decided to upgrade to Windows 10, which seemed to go well, but then when I rebooted, the picture never came back up again on the external. I can hear the HD working though. I believe the laptop itself is fine except for the display. Thanks for that advice. I believe once I replace the panel, it will be just fine. I did briefly look on YouTube to see how to replace a panel, but it would be nice to see how to replace the panel step by step for this particular model. I'm sure most are pretty much the same, but still, this is a first for me...

no prob. when you are finished replacing it you'll go "shit, that was easy!!".

Thanks, it might be a while though....don't know when I'll have the money to replace it; although one person did give me an idea. He asked if I had an HDMI port on it and said that when he uses HDMI on his TV with it, he too can't see the BIOS/UEFI and doesn't get a picture until Windows boots. The thing is, that monitor I was working with didn't, but my LED monitor does, so I tried it with it, but got the same thing while working with the VGA port on the older monitor. It shouldn't work, but I'm gonna try the HDMI on my TV. I've learned though working with computers over the years that sometimes solutions that don't work on one thing, might work no another, even if it's using the same cord or whatever it may be. I don't think it will work, but it's worth a try. Other than that, all I can do is wait until I get the funds to get the new screen.

Back