Trying to get 3rd 290 to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creepin_D

[H]ard|Gawd
I decided to add a 3rd Sapphire 290 to my sig rig. I fired it up tonight, only to see that my system is not picking up the 3rd card :(

Any ideas on where I should start troubleshooting?

Can I use my monitor cable and plug it in to each card to figure out which one is not being used?

I should add, that all 3 cards are water cooled, so pulling them is a big hassle, and only going to be done as a last resort.

Last edited:
new card to primary slot, alone. make sure it works. then bios for pcie options

What board are you using? Are you using a bridge for the water blocks? If you are take a flash light and make sure there seated because it's a bitch to get them to seat right when there all connected .

Seated I ment pushed all the way into the board.. I had a hard time getting mine to seat with my water cooling bridge. Also there is a green light that lights up on the end of the card when it's in crossfire so you could tell that way. Also in the bios you could pick to boot which slot you want and see which one doesnt out put anything.

Thanks, for the info. I will try each card now.

What did you have to-do to get the card seated?

Here is a pic of a setting I found in the bios. To me it looks like the 3rd card is not being detected, which could be caused by it not being seated. What do you think?

don't think the Maximus V formula is actually trifire or tri sli capible, I have the same board and I believe the third slot is only for harddrives, and full size addon cards.

don't think the Maximus V formula is actually trifire or tri sli capible, I have the same board and I believe the third slot is only for harddrives, and full size addon cards.

I looked on the website, and I found this

"SLI/CrossFire On-Demand

Why choose when you can have both?
SLI or CrossFireX? Fret no longer because with the ROG Maximus V Formula Series, you’ll be able to run both multi-GPU setups. The board features SLI/CrossFire on Demand technology, supporting up to Quad-GPU SLI or Quad-GPU CrossFireX configuration. Whichever path you take, you can be assured of jaw-dropping graphics at a level previously unseen."

It seems that my board should be able to handle the 3rd card, unless they mean dual-gpu cards in slot one and two?

Can anyone else confirm if my board can or cannot use the 3rd card?

So I read the mainboard user guide, and according to what I read, its just a simple matter of plugging the 3rd card in and boot.

I did notice that DDU did pickup the 3rd card but it seems like it DDU is not able to determine what kind of card it is. That's about as far as I got.

What else can I do aside from pulling cards?

Sorry for many post, I just want to figure this out :confused:

Ok, this will be my last post on this issue. I promise :cool:

Twice in my user guide I have seen where it says
"Intel 3rd Generation Ivy Bridge processor support x8/x4/x4"

Kind of got me thinking that I need a new CPU before I can get the third card to work. Anyone agree on that?

No Worries....I got a new cpu ordered, so hopefully this will resolve my issue. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back