trying to fix Repair Your Computer option in Dell Inspiron N5110 (corrupt winre.wim?)

sanjayawat

n00b
Hi,

I have a new Dell Inspiron N5110 laptop with Windows 7 that works fine. I made System restore discs using Dell datasafe local backup and I wanted to check out how could I restore them.
As per the manual, I pressed F8 while booting the system and came into some advanced boot options menu. I selected Repair your Computer option and got a message that said "Windows failed to start. blah...blah... The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible"
I checked various posts and confirmed with bcdedit that my bcd settings were absolutely fine. I assigned a drive letter to the recovery partition to check the files pointed to by the recovery section in the bcd. I found that the winre.wim file referenced in \Recovery\WindowsRE\winre.wim was 0 byte in size. While all the files seemed to date to the laptop purchase date, only this file in the entire recovery partition had a recent date and coincidentally that date/time coincided with my first Windows Update !
Anyways, now I want to get that Repair your computer option working back. Is there any way to get the winre.wim file from another N5110 or from the Dell Win7 DVD ?

I got winre.wim from another N5110 and i replaced my 0 byte winre.wim with this one and I can now see the recovery options !

Back