• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Trying to fix hard drive failure

jsh3d

n00b
Joined
Aug 1, 2004
Messages
13
I think I've got a pretty strange problem, but hopefully somebody who knows a bit more about drives will be able to help me fix this problem.

I got a new seagate 160gb a few months ago, and just yesterday dialog boxes suddenly came up about the drive being corrupted (The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume F: ). And then I rebooted, and then it was gone. F: show up in "my computer" but it brings up the format box whenever I try to access it. In disk management in computer management, it shows the 149 gb partition on F: and says it's healthy. chkdsk returns an error (The type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.)

I have come up with a few ideas on what may have happened. A few days ago the power suddenly cut off, which may have caused problems (chkdsk ran when it rebooted). Also, I suspect I may have set up 48bit lba wrong when I got the drive. I'm on 2k sp4 so I had to set the registry key to make it work. I looked at the registry key and EnableBigLba wasn't set in (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters). I did set something to get it to be able to be formatted to 154gb, but it must not have been this. Strange.

My current best guess is that 48bit lba wasn't set correctly, and chkdsk messed it up or I finally put enough stuff yesterday for it to go beyond the 137gb limit.

Any ideas on how I could fix this? I know I could try to get stuff off of there with r-studio or something, but I'd rather try to just fix it.

Thanks
-jsh3d
 
Back
Top