Trying to find the spark of interest in programming again.

veterator

[H]ard|Gawd
I've not done any serious programming work in close to 10 years. I graduated university, had a job while I was in college I didn't feel like I got much out of. And when I left that place without an offer I was told I "relied too much on existing software/programs instead of developing my own." But considering I was assigned to at least three different bosses in my time there, I was......less than impressed with how they handed under-grad coops. It was kind of willy-nilly whoever needed help, and not for the benefit of the student unless by blind luck they got a series of good learning experiences.

This one dampened my interest in programming, because the core work was handled by full time employees and they didn't have much else on the plate besides their one product and FDA issues being a medical software place.

Next job was a medical billing place, I was pointed to it by a friend. They were wanting to get into electronic billing and I was basically told they were going to be hiring on a team over time. Then that team basically became me, with the possibility of more once the project started "making money". Guy was trying to get this put in hospitals after it'd only been used at really small doctor offices as beta sites, and one of those was having fairly big issues due to miscommunication and overselling IMO. I enjoyed being able to solve issues the sites were having and get feedback on future additions or changes, but it was like the owner of the company was determined to have a full product ready to scale up and down user bases in just a few months time with just me working it. So I was there for about 6 months and finally told him that he either hires at least one more person to help or I quit. He refused, so I quit. This place did primarily Visual Basic with some Perl scripting to tie things together.

Now I'll say my inexperience and wanting to go along with the flow probably really hurt me more than the jobs themselves...putting myself into or not realizing I wasn't really gaining what I should be from the positions.

So those are the two things that pretty much killed my interest in programming. I still like solving puzzles and having little thought projects on stuff, I just don't do it with programming anymore. And I'd like to change that and modernize my languages, toolsets, etc.

To give you some "positive" experiences with programming. I taught myself C so I could work on text based multi-user dungeons (MUDs) and spent probably two years adding new bits and pieces to one I played on. Worked a summer job where they built upon that and did some translation of menu systems from Dibol to C++ for an architecture overhaul with some other summer help. While it wasn't the most exciting thing, it was interesting to do the translation for awhile. Had a quarter of COBOL language at the local community college while I was in high school...plus some unix/linux and logic classes (flowcharts etc).

So Im not too horrible at picking up languages. Im maybe weaker than I should be at object oriented programming because I self taught myself C, so I had some bad habits...it doesn't come naturally. And Im probably weak on database usage. Definitely weak on visual programming (I consider this to be buttons, graphical front ends, etc), although I know a lot of the IDEs handle quite a bit of that. It's really hard to judge since I've been out and I have a habit of undervaluing stuff I do versus what other people do...but friends who are in the field said I was pretty talented at programming and never could understand why I couldn't find jobs worth a shit back then.

I know it's probably unlikely Ill find a project that isn't a "waste of time" learning project that'll be thrown away. But ideally it'd be nice to have something that I continue to build on while polishing up on unused languages/processes while picking up some new ones.

And maybe some recommended IDEs and versioning stuff that is free and fairly relevant would be good.

Ideally I'd like to get some back-end/server-end with database experience to go along with a user end graphical interface that is a little showy/fancy just to get some experience with more visual stuff programming can do.

And maybe like a list of Top 3 or Top 5 most marketable skills if nothing else comes out of it...with a list of useful IDEs/tools for each.

Check out Microsoft's Web Camp Training Kits. You'll learn all kinds of fun new stuff about MVC in ASP.NET using C# as well as a little bit of front-end stuff as a matter of course. I suggest you start with the one from 2012

If you go the MS route, you'd be dealing with Visual Studio Express and SQL Express. If you have an academic email address you can sign up for Dreamspark and have access to all the full-blown MS IDE and DB software for free.

If you're averse to MS, there's also about a hojillion places online to learn about Java-based back-ends.

If you go the Java route you'd be using something like Eclipse or NetBeans and MySQL.

*Also a good idea to learn about subversion regardless of your code interests

^ I would echo the suggestion above, however use the new and free Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition which is fully featured!

http://www.visualstudio.com/products/visual-studio-community-vs

Watch the free, and quite good tutorial videos from Microsoft on the Microsoft Virtual Academy.
http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/

Web (for example)
http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/introduction-to-asp-net-mvc

Visual Studio is an excellent IDE and now they have the fully featured version for free for small companies (<5 people).

What I would suggest is:

Web Application
C# with MVC and use Razor for the Views.

Database:
SQL Server is excellent and SQL Server Management Studio is fairly easy to use.

You can also try WPF windows applications if you prefer actual Windows application development.

I know it's probably unlikely Ill find a project that isn't a "waste of time" learning project that'll be thrown away.

Lots of open source projects are available for people to work on/contribute to. GitHub, for example, is home to quite a few open source projects.

Ideally I'd like to get some back-end/server-end with database experience to go along with a user end graphical interface that is a little showy/fancy just to get some experience with more visual stuff programming can do.

And maybe like a list of Top 3 or Top 5 most marketable skills if nothing else comes out of it...with a list of useful IDEs/tools for each.

What do you want to work on? Web sites/applications, native mobile applications, desktop applications, embedded systems, video games? The most marketable skills can depend on what you're interested in.

Lots of open source projects are available for people to work on/contribute to. GitHub, for example, is home to quite a few open source projects.

What do you want to work on? Web sites/applications, native mobile applications, desktop applications, embedded systems, video games? The most marketable skills can depend on what you're interested in.

The open source project is a possibility, but I think I need a bit of structure to updating my thinking and habits to try to get into good habits (hopefully).

I have to say that I've always had an interest in the process of video games, but I think the graphical aspect of it (generally meaning it ending up looking like shit) would really bug me. Only way I'd consider video games as a way to make money was if I could get away with doing it at home, because most of the work hours the majority of game programmers and what not work really turns me off to the industry unless Im missing some section of it.

Embedded systems I have to say I am not 100% sure what all that would entail. I believe it's a limited system in most cases, but i think generally it'd be more what the system was designed to do that would be of interest to me versus actually just working on a system like that. Seeing it do it's think and coming up with more applications for it.

Mobile apps, I don't even own a smart phone. Although I admittedly do sit around and wonder what you would make a smart phone do that would make it more appealing to me. Haven't really come up with anything clever. There is interest here, I just don't have a phone to mess around with on it. I use Genymotion free version to mess with some of the apps on Android sometimes to get an idea of what people are raving about. Duology for example is a neat app, but not something I think I'd enjoy developing for. Just as a kind of what I decided was something overly complicated but kind of interesting....a kind of augmented reality app on the phone where you could go to public parks, etc and maybe use your phone to see things people left (digitally) or pick up missions/quests to see other things in the park. Only reason I wouldn't think about using it all over the place is I figured people would walk into traffic if they used it a lot.

Web sites/applications and desktop applications is where I figured I'd end up. Last couple interviews I had but didn't get an offer from were based on those things. Looking to update their webpages and what not.

Generally I think making "something" that each of these things (except embedded/video game) might interface with just to get some sort of idea on the different aspects involved in each. I play guild wars 2 quite a bit, and sometimes use webpage profession/class building things to toy around but there are aspects I dont like about the various versions of them. I don't know how frustrating it'd be as a starting project really, so I was just thinking about it until I got refreshed a bit. But would be kinda neat to see it have mobile/desktop/web versions.

And admittedly I have a bit of hardware/networking interest too...if anything melds well with that would probably appeal to me more.

I think generally if the team/coworkers were decent and I got to see my work being used I'd probably be happy doing whatever if I was generally treated like a respected human being. Had my horror stories and have heard plenty more, makes it sound like this might be the hardest part to find.

It's interesting me that the two things that "killed your interest in programming" aren't about programming at all, but are about people and management. Instead of finding jobs with better projects or management, you became disinterested in programming.

It's interesting me that the two things that "killed your interest in programming" aren't about programming at all, but are about people and management. Instead of finding jobs with better projects or management, you became disinterested in programming.

Yeah it definitely was that. Although it's not like I didn't look for other work, the "tech bubble" of 2000-2002 roughly had people with 15 years experience out picking up entry level jobs. There wasn't much around for a good long while, and you can only spend so much time hunting and not finding until you just have to move on. The last "development" job I had stressed me out so much it was starting to affect me physically.

Shrug. Was just hoping to find a project or something interesting from others since i haven't found it on my own yet. Ideally it'd lead to some kind of career back in the field, but if not....Im not opposed to having a hobby.

Really haven't done much in my opinion. I have an old Nook Color I was trying to get working with a newer version of cyano so I could try to develop a little something to try on it for fun. But the device has some sort of internal failure, spent way too much time trying to figure that out. Turns on, but I guess in the internal flash is partially unable to be written so so it's essential bricked the device for any practical use.

Was interesting messing around with ADB and what not and refreshing some of the linux commands I used to use.

Other than that, holiday tech issues took up most the rest of my time.

I guess Im still looking and trying to find something that seems easy enough to start with, but complex enough to keep me interested.

I feel that a lot of the people that liked programming but couldn't totally commit to it should consider other forms of design.
You can get the thrill of planning, creating, tweaking, without going right into actual software development.
For example, get a Linux or Windows server going with some features like a file server, active directory or a virtual machine host. Or maybe a low power video capturer-encoder for a CCTV camera.
Set some strict requirements like 'has to back up VMs automatically', 'has to react gracefully to mains failure'.
And just go crazy with making it perfect through gradual automation and tailoring.
Aaaand that's when you might find yourself looking at a cosmos of ideas for shell scripts and other little devices.

Yeah, unfortunately I was hoping to reignite the interest I had in programming. I just need to find something I want to see done and that i have the hardware and enough starter knowledge to get me going.

And yeah I'd like to learn to solder and do some more hands on stuff, but really dont have the funds to buy all the little doodads and things to do so and have enough variety to make it interesting.. Hence why I spent a stupid amount of time trying to diagnose a Nook Color instead of just buying something to use.

Dunno, it's a lot of factors and mental barriers and stuff I've put up myself because of various things as well probably.

I'd like to find something I enjoy, but also could be used to land a job or turned into something that could make some money to justify more time and investment into it. If it had a bit of hardware/software variety to it, would probably appeal more to me than just pure software. I've had some ideas, but seems kinda pointless to post em up since it just makes it look like Im talking out my ass about my interest it.

At a certain point, it's something only you can solve.

Back