• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Trying to find a switchbox for my needs.

Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Messages
726
Hey guys, I need to find an audio switch for my system but I dont need a normal switch with like 3 or 4 inputs and 1 output. I need the opposite, 3 or 4 outputs and 1 input. I know what I'm looking for but I cant find anything on google because I dont exactly know how to word it. Heres my situation: I want the signal from my computer to go to

A: my main stereo for the computer.

B: A transmitter for a set of wireless speakers elsewhere and

C: to my HT receiver

I know some of you may wonder why but I dont want to take all day explaining what these are all for, I just want to know if there is such a thing out there for a decent price. All of the outputs are 3.5mm but I have RCA adapters for all of them so even an A/V switch like that would do. I think I'm overthinking this and it may be a simple answer but I'm tired and cant figure it out lol. Thanks guys.
 
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=1011201&p_id=3027&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

What if you got something like that? Just switch the output line with your input from the computer and the inputs with the receivers/speakers. I'm assuming this splitter just routes the various inputs to the single output and I don't see why it shouldn't be bidirectional.

EDIT: Actually I'm not sure this thing will work in a bidirectional fashion so you may need to find out elsewhere...
 
Analog connections tend to be implicitly bidirecional - digital, not so much. However they often involve a unity-gain amplifier (op-amp buffer) in which case you are then again talking about a digital system. It's hard to say.

Okay, this should work, but I still suggest you either look into it more to confirm or at least buy it from somewhere with a decent return policy in case I'm wrong.

http://www.amazon.com/TC-716-6-Way-...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236239889&sr=8-2
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for your help guys, and ashmedai, I just noticed that you posted that a day or so ago and that actually would have worked because it says the inputs can be reversed for outputs. But before I saw that I found and ordered this:

4-way Audio/Video Splitter

That actually got here today and works great for cheap so I'm happy. Just thought I'd update this with what I found in case anyone needs something like that.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
All the cheap analog switches are completely passive, so you can use whatever you want as inputs and outputs.
 
All the cheap analog switches are completely passive, so you can use whatever you want as inputs and outputs.

I have a cheap RCA analog switch with 4 inputs and 1 output and I tried using that first in a few different configurations and it didnt work.
 
Yep, the passive ones are just wires and switches, as if you connected and disconnected the wires manually. Those can be used in any directions.

Powered multi-in/one-out switches have unidirectional in the signal path, they have semiconductors rather than manual switches. That's easier to use with a digital source control.

What you bought isn't a switch but a distribution amplifier (despite what the seller claims), it reamplifies the audio and video signals to connect multiple outputs simultaneously without losses. (If you just used Y cable splitters, you would have needed to push the volume higher)
 
Back
Top