Trying to download youtube videos for a project

aguydude

Limp Gawd
Anyone know what the best way is to download youtube videos onto the harddrive? I would like to edit them in premiere pro. Thanks.

i am using Opera. and to me the easiest way to save youtube video by simply renaming the actual movie files in the Opera cache folder. in my case

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Opera\Opera\profile\cache4

in that folder you will get the movie file with a .tmp extension. something like opr09QFV.tmp . if you are wondering how you would know its that movie file, well, i took guesses based on the file size as probably they will be the biggest files in that folder. now all you have to do is rename the file and change the extension .tmp to .flv , and then play it wid any flv player. :D

Or you could just use www.keepvid.com too, it's not browser specific. :)

Before I found that site to help save YouTube videos I would do something similar with IE and even Firefox:

With IE you'd have to unhide the system folder Temporary Internet Files, then go in and sort by filetype, then find the .flv file and save a copy to another location then rename it.

With Firefox I'd have to go into the Docs and Settings\usernam\Local Settings\Temp folder and grab the file from there, same way basically as IE.

But KeepVid is much easier. And there's a shortcut link you can download and stick on your Links bar in most any browser that automagically loads KeepVid with the URL of the video you're watching in one tab, directly into another. Pretty slick stuff...

Back