Trying to design layout of new auto repair shop - need software

Chevy-SS

Limp Gawd
I am laying out (on paper) a new auto repair shop. I'm trying to find some simple software that will allow me to position office space, chassis dyno, lifts, tools, tables and other equipment. Obviously, I'm trying to maximize my space and simplify the layout. I'd rather do it on paper and try to get it right the first time before I start installing the equipment.

I'm trying to end up with drawings similar to this one below:
shoplayout.jpg

Does anyone have any recommendations for a simple-to-use program?

Many thanks

-

I would check out google sketchup. It's free and I believe would allow you to do what you want. You can even download some basic models of some of the equipment I see on your drawing; you would most likely just need to resize the models for accuracy.

I would check out google sketchup. It's free and I believe would allow you to do what you want. You can even download some basic models of some of the equipment I see on your drawing; you would most likely just need to resize the models for accuracy.

This does look nice. I installed it, but it starts right off by saying it's a 3D program. I only need (and want) 2D. Thanks

-

For a project like this, I'd use Illustrator. It's not a simple program by any stretch, and it's also pretty expensive, but it also works fantastically well for 2D "drafting" like this.

What you might consider doing is making some paper cutouts of the equipment you'll be using to scale and use a large pad with the boundaries of your space drawn. This way, you'll be able to spend time working on the organization by moving the cutouts around within that space. You could then hire someone to draft it out based on photos you've taken of your cutout plan.

What you might consider doing is making some paper cutouts of the equipment you'll be using to scale and use a large pad with the boundaries of your space drawn. This way, you'll be able to spend time working on the organization by moving the cutouts around within that space. You could then hire someone to draft it out based on photos you've taken of your cutout plan.

Yeah man, this is a good idea. Actually, I bought some 1/64th scale cars, lifts and shop equipment, and I made a portable flat surface that I can move everything around on.

thanks

-

Back