• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Trying to decide between these two PSUs @ egg

este

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 10, 2006
Messages
233
So...... Never really heard anything about Rosewill PSUs and found two at egg. I don't want to spend any more then ~$70.

The system will be a core2, 2 hdd, 1 optical, etc etc want to set it up for G80/R600 or sli/crossfire, so an SLI psu is kind of a requirement.

Don't care about PFC (scam) or modual cabling. But It needs to be quiet. So, at least a 120mm fan in there.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182045
Rosewill 550W, 135mm fan, cables are wrapped, +12V1@18A, +12V2@18A, I'm leaning to this one, if I hear rosewill is O.K.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817709003
Sunbeam 550W, 80mm and 120mm fans, Modular, stupid fan controller display (apparently not required), +12V1@20A, +12V2@18A, Only 1 pci-e connector (?), At very top of PSU budget,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817159054
Don't know much about this one, other then its a name I remember. Seems a little lite on the 12V supply 2 (+12V1@18A, +12V2@16A)

Anyone have any advice ?
 
OMG! Is this the latest "lesser of three evils" thread?!?!

If the choice is between those three, then the Sunbeam by a long shot.
 
I know I know, all the help me pick this peice threads kinda suck, but I don't know crap about PSUs and need to buy one soon.

Also, I don't feel like paying $150 for hype and marketing. (I'm looking at you PFC!)
 
este said:
So...... Never really heard anything about Rosewill PSUs and found two at egg. I don't want to spend any more then ~$70.

The system will be a core2, 2 hdd, 1 optical, etc etc want to set it up for G80/R600 or sli/crossfire, so an SLI psu is kind of a requirement.

Don't care about PFC (scam) or modual cabling. But It needs to be quiet. So, at least a 120mm fan in there.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182045
Rosewill 550W, 135mm fan, cables are wrapped, +12V1@18A, +12V2@18A, I'm leaning to this one, if I hear rosewill is O.K.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817709003
Sunbeam 550W, 80mm and 120mm fans, Modular, stupid fan controller display (apparently not required), +12V1@20A, +12V2@18A, Only 1 pci-e connector (?), At very top of PSU budget,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817159054
Don't know much about this one, other then its a name I remember. Seems a little lite on the 12V supply 2 (+12V1@18A, +12V2@16A)

Anyone have any advice ?
None of these are capable of highend SLI/Crossfire.

Rosewill rebadges PSU's from so many different companies it is a crap-shoot at best.
No Rosewills have ever been recommended.

The Sunbeam 550W is a nice PSU, however with only +12V@30A it is not enough for highend SLI/CF.

Coolmax is a mediocre PSU at best & can't do highend SLI/CF either.

If you want highend SLI/CF consider one of these.

PC P&C 610W/750W

Corsair 620W

SILVERSTONE SST-ST75ZF 750W

Good Luck,
Dave ;)
 
if you want G80 sli you're going to have to shell out a lot more for your psu. these psu's dont cost more just because of PFC. you're paying for smarter amp distribution and quality. for next gen sli/xfire look to spend ~$150 for a psu. no one here is going to recommend you something you dont need or something too excessive (although the manufacturer might). just from rumors and reports the next gen cards will require a lot more.
 
I didn't mean G80 SLI, I meant G80 or sli (like some G70 series chip)

Also, I have a pretty lightly loaded system. And the more I think about it, I doubt I'll ever sli/cf anyway. Its doesn't ever seem worth it,

But I decided if I could go $10 more I could pick one of these up. Its not modular, but its more efficient for sure.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256001
 
este said:
I didn't mean G80 SLI, I meant G80 or sli (like some G70 series chip)

Also, I have a pretty lightly loaded system. And the more I think about it, I doubt I'll ever sli/cf anyway. Its doesn't ever seem worth it,

But I decided if I could go $10 more I could pick one of these up. Its not modular, but its more efficient for sure.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256001
Linkie no workie.

For highend SLI with say a pair of 7900's you want something like a Corsair 520W (up to +12V@40A). ;)
 
My Sunbeam 550w NUUO just died after ~1 year of service. About to attempt an RMA.

That said, it's still a great PSU...however, Fuyjjhu (sp?) capacitors aren't to be trusted under heavy temperature load. As a result, my PSU and others like it (including some Antecs) are dying far too early. :(

Corsair HX620w is my recommendation. :D
 
este said:
I know I know, all the help me pick this peice threads kinda suck, but I don't know crap about PSUs and need to buy one soon.

Also, I don't feel like paying $150 for hype and marketing. (I'm looking at you PFC!)

The sad part about this thread is that you are convinced that anything that costs $150 has to be due to hype and marketing!!

Best of luck!!
 
dBTelos said:
Emermax Whisper II 535W or Corsair HX520W would be best.
The Enermax 535W can not handle highend SLI/CF & although the Corsair 520W is rated up to +12V@40A,
I would be more comfortable recommending the Corsair 620W. ;)
 
I upped my budget a little since no one really liked the original choices :) I do appreciate the experience of people here!

Silderstone ST50EF
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256001
Typical >80%, +12v1@18A,+12V2@18A, 80Plus cert, mentions 500W contiuous

Mushkin 550200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817812002
120mm, Modual, 12V1@20A, +12V2@20A, no mention of efficiency

Thermaltake W0101RU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153029
Lower eff, but its a good name, Newegg's voltage ratings seem WAY off, says 550W

COOLMAX CUG-600B
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817159057
says hi-eff, +12V1@12A,+12V2@21A,+12V3@13A, someone here said Coolmax sucks

There are probably more around $85 ish. Don't usually bother with rebates,

Leaning towards Silverstone.


To OCC_Yoda:
I'm an EE. I not only work with this stuff but have designed many power supplies for my own projects that have gone into production (low current, but efficient). I understand that everyone has access to the same parts, and capacitor technology hasn't changed drasticaly in 20 years. Processor driven switching power supplies are complex no doubt, but they are not rocket science.

I'm not saying an expensive power supply with dozens of super-caps, high quality transformers, percision inductors, emi/rfi shielding, 10oz copper boards, etc etc isn't going to be a GREAT supply and won't last 10 years. But it certainly won't effect MY machine anymore then an $80 unit I'll use for 2 years.

But features like wire sleeving (should be std), modual connectors, PFC, shiny finish, leds, even a listed wattage without looking at the invidual rails, peak ratings in general, "sli-certified" and my personal fav "gold plated conntectors"... are ALL marketing and hype. Its 'sad' if you don't see that. Infact, I prefer units that DONT have some of these 'features'. Makes me think the spent the money on more important things.

Most people even here could not say what it is a capacitor does (without checking google first). Thats why I am asking for expericene with certain units,
 
PFC isn't just hype and can come in handy if you're using a square-wave UPS. Just thought that I'd point this out.

You say caps haven't changed much over the last 20 years and you're pretty much correct but some cap MFG's have different methods for producing their products (varying electrolyte materials, ratings that aren't copesetic, etc) so who makes the caps in the PSU's can be very important.
 
davidhammock200 said:
The Enermax 535W can not handle highend SLI/CF & although the Corsair 520W is rated up to +12V@40A,
I would be more comfortable recommending the Corsair 620W. ;)

Since when can a Whisper 535W not handle a 400W load @ 12V rail? That's being generous also, he said DX10 or SLi. Not both. My recommendation stands.
 
I can understand not wanting to pay for unnecessary bling, and it's true that the design and execution of SMPS's haven't really ever changed, but quality control is something that can vary from unit to unit. Skimp on price and end up with something that can function as a PSU "in theory" but blow up in under a year.

Just a thought. ;)
 
dBTelos said:
Since when can a Whisper 535W not handle a 400W load @ 12V rail? That's being generous also, he said DX10 or SLi. Not both. My recommendation stands.
I know that you mean well, however you have no personal experience in building or specing systems &
therefore your recommendations are dangerous to other people's wallets!

What is he suppose to do when he finds out that his new $80 Enermax 535W (only +12V@34A) &
SLI Certified for only the lowest SLI rigs (same certification as the $49 XCilo GoodPower 500W)
http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html#certified_powersupplies
won't power his "Dual GeForce 7900 GTX or Dual GeForce 7800 GTX 512 MB" or higher rig?

Your lack of any real pratical experence is leading you to "under-recommend",
this is far more dangerous to wallet of the OP, than over recommending.

It is far better to invest an additional $10 to $20 now, instead of finding out the hard way, that your new PSU needs immediate replacement.

If you read the bottom notes on SLI Certification you will find that Nvidia also states:
SLI-Ready power supply certification is based on a typical PC configuration. If your PC exceeds this typical configuration, your system may require additional power. The configurations used to test the SLI-Ready power supplies can be found here.
And please remember we always want to maintain a minimum over-capacity of 20% of both wattage & +12V rail amperage. ;)
 
este said:
I know I know, all the help me pick this peice threads kinda suck, but I don't know crap about PSUs and need to buy one soon.

este said:
To OCC_Yoda:
I'm an EE. I not only work with this stuff but have designed many power supplies for my own projects that have gone into production (low current, but efficient). I understand that everyone has access to the same parts, and capacitor technology hasn't changed drasticaly in 20 years. Processor driven switching power supplies are complex no doubt, but they are not rocket science.

Wait you say you know nothing about psu's then you say you build them? wtf?
 
este said:
I upped my budget a little since no one really liked the original choices :) I do appreciate the experience of people here!

Silderstone ST50EF
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256001
Typical >80%, +12v1@18A,+12V2@18A, 80Plus cert, mentions 500W contiuous

Mushkin 550200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817812002
120mm, Modual, 12V1@20A, +12V2@20A, no mention of efficiency

Thermaltake W0101RU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153029
Lower eff, but its a good name, Newegg's voltage ratings seem WAY off, says 550W

COOLMAX CUG-600B
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817159057
says hi-eff, +12V1@12A,+12V2@21A,+12V3@13A, someone here said Coolmax sucks

There are probably more around $85 ish. Don't usually bother with rebates,

Leaning towards Silverstone.

The Silverstone is probably the best choice of the four. The Coolmax, as the "experts" have said, is mediocre at best (most Coolmaxes are made by ATNG). The Thermaltake is not a ToughPower model (in other words, it's one of CWT's lesser-quality units), so it is best avoided. And the Mushkin is a bit overpriced given that it's made by Topower.

With all that said, none of those four can handle a single card higher than a 7950 or x1950 series or SLI/CF above a 6600/7600 or an x1600 series.
 
Cause I love newegg :) Nah, I have a big order for work and home I'm placing and this is just getting added in.

To wee96:
I'm an EE by profession. Most of my work is done with small signals, differential pair buses etc. What I should have said was "I don't know crap about the current state of the PSU market, which units are decent and which should be avoided". I didn't mean to imply that I have no idea how one works. Switching supplies aren't really my forte anyway, too high a quiesent draw for me, also require more parts then traditional ldo or conventional regulator supplies.


Since the schematics, parts list, and pcb's are not available for each supply newegg carries, I am relying on everyone's advice here and really appreciate it.

I'm leaning towards the Silverstone. I'm looking on that list, buts got to be at newegg and within what I've alloted myself to spend (I need to be strick with myself else it turns into coke lines and hookers for everyone!)
 
davidhammock200 said:
I know that you mean well, however you have no personal experience in building or specing systems & therefore your recommendations are dangerous to other people's wallets!

Your lack of any real pratical experence is leading you to "under-recommend",
this is far more dangerous to wallet of the OP, than over recommending.
I know you mean well also, but why are you assuming this attitude? You're telling him that he doesn't have any experience? By your logic, only you are allowed to recommend PSUs, anybody else recommending anything is somehow dangerous unless it has your davidhammock200-is-holier-than-thou stamp of approval. For the most part I think dBTelos is making solid recommendations, along with many other people here in this subforum. It's easy for you because you just tell everybody to get the Corsair HX620 no matter what the configuration (not that there's anything wrong with that).
 
_Korruption_ said:
I know you mean well also, but why are you assuming this attitude? You're telling him that he doesn't have any experience? By your logic, only you are allowed to recommend PSUs, anybody else recommending anything is somehow dangerous unless it has your davidhammock200-is-holier-than-thou stamp of approval. For the most part I think dBTelos is making solid recommendations, along with many other people here in this subforum. It's easy for you because you just tell everybody to get the Corsair HX620 no matter what the configuration (not that there's anything wrong with that).
Answering via PM.
 
I'll be sure to get into this "help others out" idea when I'm 60yrs old and retired from an engineering job. I'd really love to learn, but how am I supposed to when all you have to say is

however you have no personal experience

Believe it or not I do have experience, just not with every PSU I recommend. Have you cracked open every PSU you recommend? I've seen some pretty lengthy recommendation lists from you, and on a retired man's salary, I figure it would be pretty hard to get your hands on every one. Would this apply to you?

your recommendations are dangerous to other people's wallets!

I'm sure you have penty of experience with a good amount of supplies, but I don't see how you can justify your statements when you probably haven't opened or tested over half the PSUs you recommend.

You've used all of these??:

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=136602

There is a good 15 different PSUs in each list, and 10 different lists, all of the PSUs being somewhat modern, I'd say you'd have to break the bank to get your hands on all of them.
 
Here is the problem.

By recommending the cheapest, lowest powered PSU that might work, you do save an average of $10 to $20 per PSU.

However when someone invest $80 in a PSU on your recommendation & it is not enough for their system, what do you say?

Now a more consertive approach is to recommend a little more than their most basic need &
yes this will cost them $10 to $20 more on average, however then we KNOW that the PSU will work.

This also guarantees at least a minimum of 20% over-head & allows for some future growth.

Sincerely,
Dave
 
However when someone invest $80 in a PSU on your recommendation & it is not enough for their system, what do you say?

Why do you say that would happpen?

Think about it:

70W for CPU at full load.
90W x2 for 7900GTXs
20W for other system componants

This is all on the 12v rail. Add it up to 270W on the 12V rail. If a PSU dips down 120W just on the 12V rail, I wouldn't say that's my fault (considering the quality of Enermax supplies). And I'm sure a RMA would be accepted from Enermax, not that we would count on dips that low.

BTW, 7900GTXs are power hungy, and if our OPs going to do SLi, we can count on around the same power consumption from another setup. Again, we can keep in mind the extra 150W we have on the 12V rail after adding in 2x 7900GTX. I don't understand how you would consider this too little power.

What am I talking about anyway, I don't own a Whisper II. I shouldn't recommend it.
 
dBTelos said:
Why do you say that would happpen?

Think about it:

70W for CPU at full load.
90W x2 for 7900GTXs
20W for other system componants

This is all on the 12v rail. Add it up to 270W on the 12V rail. If a PSU dips down 120W just on the 12V rail, I wouldn't say that's my fault (considering the quality of Enermax supplies). And I'm sure a RMA would be accepted from Enermax, not that we would count on dips that low.
Nvidia certifies the Enermax 535W for lowend SLI, the OP wants a PSU for highend SLI &
it can be had at about the same price (+/-$10-$20) as the Enermax 535W.

Why not take the safe & consertive approach & recommend a PSU that is Nvidia certified for highend SLI?
 
I'd love to see the tests that prove that a Whisper 535W can't handle more then a couple of 7600s, the nVidia tests would be nice.

Wow, after taking another look at those charts, quite a few things are out of whack. Coming from someone like you I'm suprised you would rely on them so much. Example: A XClio Goodpower 650W will do Quad-SLi, but a Corsair HX620W will not. The Corsair has more power on the 12V rail, and essentially a single 12V rail.

I could question 10+ things on that list, but coming from me it doesn't mean much (to you). So I'll just forget about it, recommend him a GXS 700W if it makes you happy, if you say so it's obviously the right thing to do. This place is becoming harder and harder just to post in :mad: I wonder why....
 
So I'll just forget about it, recommend him a GXS 700W if it makes you happy, if you say so it's obviously the right thing to do.
Actually an excellent recommendation for 3 reasons.

(1) We know from personal experience that the OCZ GXS can handle just about any highend SLI/CF rig.

(2) It is Nvidia Certified for Quad SLI, currently their highest certification.

(3) It has been available for under $100 at Monarch & a few other places.
 
and the answer is......Its the #1 recommended PSU on DFI-Street.com

j/k no one get their feelings all hurt.
 
sn_85 said:
and the answer is......Its the #1 recommended PSU on DFI-Street.com

j/k no one get their feelings all hurt.
Very true.

It is DFI-Street.com Certified for all current DFI mobos with all SLI/CF configs.

We KNOW it works & works very well, indeed! :D
 
Back
Top