trying to decide between SMP v Standard client?

ghost6303

2[H]4U
Heres a good illustration of the differences. at the beginning of April, I switched over to -advmethods on the SMP client. Previously, i was simply running two instances of the standard console client to load up both cores on my core2duo E6600. I didnt really know that there would be such an extreme difference between the two, or that my machine could be making 3-5 times the amount points as it was. So for all you people running standard clients, check this out...

o9j18l.jpg

previously- i was making a garbage 300 to 800ppd total running two standard clients. with SMP that is now up to 2500 or so ppd; or one 2k point WU every 12-18 hours. as you can see, 8 days into the month of may, i have more points in 9 WUs than i got from the 58 WUs in the whole month of february.

the reason i was running standard clients is because thats just what i was used to for a few years, there was never a post that i found that outlined clearly the differences or said what would be best to run for my given hardware. so il say this-

anyone who is running the standard client on any computer with more then 1 CPU should upgrade NOW. any CPU with 2+ cores should be running SMP.

go here
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther
and download the one that says "6.29 beta for MPICH (32-bit or 64-bit)" (its the last one on the page, but above the two "unsupported clients" on the very bottom.)

go here and read about and get a passkey
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-passkey (click 'where do i get a passkey?')

enter your passkey into the client after you install it. you wont get the bonus points until you have successfully completed 10 work units. CTRL+V doesnt work, but you can click on the top left corner of the FAH console (on the molecule picture) and in the menu click edit>paste if your passkey is in your clipboard.

done. after 10 WUs, your PPD should skyrocket. there are plenty of better guides in the stickies at the top of this sub forum if that was unclear to you. oh- and the only team number you need to remember is 33 ;)

This is more or less the exact reason I ended up here. I got my first multi-core processor (a quad) in early December, and intially had four standard console clients running on it. I figured there had to be a better way for multi-core processors since you would be hard pressed to find a new one that is not multi-core these days, so I came here for information. The point production difference is amazing. The problem is that you can't just run an installer and be done with it. It is also more of a beta thing that you would have to look for to set up (i.e. the Windows SMP clients are not on the main download page.) I still don't get the whole passkey thing, which also limits the SMP client catching on more than it has for the "passive" folder. We have tried to make it as easy as possible for someone just starting or for someone who takes the time to look with the guides. It definately is the way to go if you are willing to take the 2 minutes or so to set it up.

the passkey thing is just there to register the client for the bonus points.. its about the only way F@H can track the client's.. at least they finally found a use for the passkey.. features been there for ever and until the bonus system was created it was useless and never actually worked for the actual reason it was created..

i know there are plenty of better guides around here that more easily walk thru instalation and everything, but when i was looking into what client i should be running- there was never a clear picture like that illustrating just how many more points i could possibly be making. there was never a post i found that said "you are running 2 or more processors, you will gain 5 times the points if you used SMP over the standard client".

granted if the smp client was able to just upzip and dump into folder and go, like the standard client, it would be even better. but the two minutes, if that, that it took to install the smp client were as painless as possible, and the reward in points well worth it.

considering ~60% of team 33s active users are in the 800-PPD and under category, i figured there are a lot of people out there, like i was, using the standard client and not living up to their potential. hopefully they see this.

and if anyone would like to merge any part of this with any of the stickies, feel free.

Back