trying to connect 2 routers together wireless

CyberJunk

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a Dlink Dir 655 and a Dlink Dir 625 routers. I'm trying to boost my signal in my living room and connect my ps3 to improve its internet speed. The Dir 655 is wired to my main computer using gigabit ethernet on the other side the house. I'm trying to figure out step by step if there is some way to get the 2nd router Dir 625 to connect wireless with the Dir 655 ? like maybe the Dir 655 could see it as just another computer or something? I don't know how to make this work ? Please help me !

So let me get this straight:

Cable Modem > DIR655 Wired to... > Desktop

*** WIRELESS ***

LIVING ROOM:

DIR625 to pick up the wireless signal > PS3 Ethernet?

AFAIK The DIR625 is a pretty basic router and not sure of it's options for different firmware.

Basically wireless routers are designed to communicate with client devices (laptops, cell phones) and not other Routers.

HOWEVER, with custom firmware such as the popular DD-WRT it will allow your router to act as a client device and connect to a wireless network (such as your DIR655).

I searched on the DD-WRT website and it doesn't look like the firmware is supported to work on either of your D-Link products but the very popular WRT54G Series router works perfect and it's relatively cheap. The WRT54GS looks like a good deal on the page. There is a recerted one, and also an open box for $15. Flash this router with the DD-WRT firmware and you're golden.

This is actually the current setup I use, with a different main router hosting the Wi-Fi and it works like a dream.

AFAIK The DIR625 is a pretty basic router and not sure of it's options for different firmware.

Basically wireless routers are designed to communicate with client devices (laptops, cell phones) and not other Routers.

HOWEVER, with custom firmware such as the popular DD-WRT it will allow your router to act as a client device and connect to a wireless network (such as your DIR655).

I searched on the DD-WRT website and it doesn't look like the firmware is supported to work on either of your D-Link products but the very popular WRT54G Series router works perfect and it's relatively cheap. The WRT54GS looks like a good deal on the page. There is a recerted one, and also an open box for $15. Flash this router with the DD-WRT firmware and you're golden.

This is actually the current setup I use, with a different main router hosting the Wi-Fi and it works like a dream.

i was hoping to use the dir 625 to save money and to be able to connect using N

using the ps3 wireless connection i get about 30-55% signal strength and its slow as dog shit w/ the dir 655
the 625 was slightly slower less range.

Well the connection to the main router is only going to be as strong as it's weakest link.

How far away is the living room from the room where the 655 is?

its about 1,000 to 2,000 square feet but the signal needs to go threw like 3 thick walls
footage wise it would be the length of the apt. I dont know

but i think the ps3 wireless G sucks and just slow ? so i dont think just getting a bigger antenna would solve the problem ? or maybe ? i don't know !

G signals would definately need a boost for that range and through the walls. Bigger antenna wouldnt' fix your problem.

The way it sounds a signal repeater is going to be your best bet as the wireless signal coming to another router is going to be just as weak as what your PS3 picks up.

so what do you suggest for a repeater ? It would be cool to find something decent in a retail store if possible but if i have to order it online i will. Can you point me in the right direction?
I just got the Dir 655 last night but i don't want to return it cuz i got a good price at officemax for $99 and its alot faster and has more throughput than the Dir 625. Thanks for your help so far!

i don;t think the wiring would work. I have funky wiring in the house.
I just think a repeater is my only option ? any decently priced ones that work good
i would like to use N if possible

Last edited:
I've been trying to set up a WAP54G as a repeater for some time now. Doesn't exactly work the ways I've tried. DD-WRT might be an option for me since the WAP54G is basically a WRT without the ports.

thats what i need is a 2nd ap ?

I don't think it actually acts as a repeater. The description mentions plugging into your router, which sounds like an Access Point, and the AP in the model name seems to support this.

Nowhere do I see it mentioned that it's a repeater though.

EDIT - Now I'm not so sure. I googled the model #, and one of the reviews talks about how it can improve the range of your existing B/G network without altering any settings, which sounds like a repeater...

:shrug:

What you are looking for is a Rangebooster Lanoix, that way it can pick up that semi-weak N signal and repeat it. You can have this sitting right next to your PS3 and hopefully resolve your slow connection.

What you are looking for is a Rangebooster Lanoix, that way it can pick up that semi-weak N signal and repeat it. You can have this sitting right next to your PS3 and hopefully resolve your slow connection.

I think you mean Range Expander? That is what Linksys calls their wireless repeaters on the consumer market. I guess the term "wireless repeater" isn't self explanitory enough? When I went to Best Buy a couple years ago because my father was having trouble connecting with his new desktop to the wireless router on the other end of the house (I think this was before Wireless N was proposed), and I asked for a wireless repeater, I got a blank look from the sales associate. I had to physically describe (hand motions and all) what I was looking for, at which point a light bulb popped on over his head and he said "Oh... you mean a Range Expander Yeah... whatever man...

The "Range Expander" failed after only 6 months. Sick of trying to stretch out the wireless, I just grabbed 2 Ethernet-over-AC adapters, slapped them in, and was done with it; it's worked flawlessly since. That house is over a hundred years old and was built before home electrical wiring was even invented, so the fact that the ancient wiring in that place handled it is a testament to the error correction standards of G.hn.

I think it's an underrated technology, but that's just my personal opinon. Best of luck with whatever solution you find.

Last edited:
well i went to bestbuy they had this thing called a linksys gaming adapter dual band N
it was $99 dollars i didn't buy it
but the electrical outlet ones are just as much
i don;t know what to do
I kinda wanted to boost signal to my living room so my laptop can take advantage it too
but i dunno right now the signal in the living is about 2 bars and its only getting 11mbps

well i went to bestbuy they had this thing called a linksys gaming adapter dual band N
it was $99 dollars i didn't buy it
but the electrical outlet ones are just as much
i don;t know what to do

Yeah... it's gonna cost you whatever you choose, unless you feel like snaking ethernet cable all over the place.

That's wireless G though, didn't you want N? I mean it really won't make much of a difference.

As cmustang said, with that device you'd have to lower your wireless to G, which is a lot less range then N, and with that range expander, all things considered, your range would probably end up about the same as your N.

Now that I think about it, I think that's the device I bought for my father before we upgraded him to Wireless N (which turned out not to solve the problem anyhow because an interference issue was also involved).

my ps3 and laptop run on G
ps3 runs like shit so slow
the laptop is ok and gets ok signal about 3mbps

which product should i get ?

you can't run a wire? run it outside and then into basement and up the floor.

every time you use a range booster you 1/2 the speed since it needs to use 1/2 the unit to send and 1/2 to receive.

if you got to i always just use WRT54GL with DD-WRT or Tomato and bridge em

my ps3 and laptop run on G
ps3 runs like shit so slow
the laptop is ok and gets ok signal about 3mbps

which product should i get ?

I was under the impression PS3s can use Wireless N... am I wrong? My bro has one and uses it under a Wireless N router, though I suppose the router could be actually connecting with G if he's got the router set to Auto G/N

maybe i will get the gaming bridge adapter from linksys ?

that seems to be solving the problem with people that have ps3 wireless
i can't run wire because i live in a large 4 bedroom apt
its one floor and iam on the 2nd floor of a single house !

i bought a linksys wet610n bridge and it fixed everything and did everything i wanted to do

i bought a linksys wet610n bridge and it fixed everything and did everything i wanted to do

I assume then that the PS3 connects to Wireless G and that connecting the N bridge to it allowed the router to use Wireless N, improving your signal strength.

Glad to hear it worked out!

yea the bridge is REALLY Fast the ps3 went from 3mbps to like 14-15mbps !!!
the dir 655 says i get about 80% singal mbps goes flucuates from 164 to 300mbps

average is like 200's mpbs

what going to do now for my g singal is connect the dir 625 to the bridge
and connect the ps3 wired to the dir 625 and create another wireless access point in the living room
so far iam impressed with the dir 655 its very fast and the N signal is such improvement i couldn't believe it ! i can watch video on my ps3 from the internet !
it is just as fast as my wired desktop pretty much maybe a lil slower

ok i have another question

i have the dir655 connected to my bridge wireless N connection working pefectly

now i want to connect my 625 dir to my bridge wired

what settings do i need to change on the dir 625 or bridge to make this work ?

so anyways i set the bridge from dchp to static ip

my dir 655 is 192.168.0.1 and my bridge is set to 192.168.0.1
and it is connected works perfectly with the dir 655

now iam trying to connect the bridge to the dir 625 thru wired wan port and connect my ps3 to lan port 1 wired then connect my laptop wireless to the dir625

but i try to set static ip to the 625 and have the gateway the bridge ip 192.168.0.2
but i don't know what to put for the primary DNS server address ???
can anyone help ?

i got it working but i don't know if i got it working right ?

i pluged the wire from the bridge to the lan port instead of the wan and connected my ps3 to the 2nd lan port and my laptop connected to the dir 625 via wirless G while the bridge connected wireless N to my dir 655

it only can get it to work when both routers have the same ip and running dchp

i don't know if this is the right way to have this setup ?

but it is working

i got everything working
what i did was set the wireless bridge to static ip then i connected it to the lan port on the dir 625 instead of the wan ! this was figured out of fustration . i changed the ip of the router to match the network 192.168.0.3 then i pluged in the ps3 into the 2nd lan port on the dir 625. I have the dir 625 putting out only a wireless g signal and the connection between the dir 655 and the wireless bridge on wireless N only My network is so much faster than before !! my ps3 is like night and day online now ! The dir 655 is so fast at routing and the gigabit switch connected to my main rig is alot faster than the dir 625
all in all iam glad i got the dir 655 onsale at officemax
although i wanted to get the dlink brige i got the netgear dual ban wet610n brige and it has been really fast and improved my connection it was very well worth the purchase !

Back