• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Trying to choose between, Your thoughts needed.

Hades12

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
291
Bump because I am on the same mission for exactly the same reason. I am looking for a 17" though.
 
I would say go to some place like a Best Buy or something and look at a bunch, see which one has the best looking text for the lowest price. If its just for browsing, schoolwork and stuff like that, you don't need to get the fastest, most expensive one. You can also just write down the info on the monitor and see if you can get it online cheaper.
 
This System will have to last her for 4 to 8 more years. So I was going with good to Better components.

I have looked at the Envision ones and they are a bit Blurrey to me.

Thanks for the thoughs so far.
 
wpeng said:
I'm also confused as to why you need a 19". 17" is big enough and is much cheaper.

I think it depends on the age of one's eyes. On 19" displays stuff is physically larger, since at present both sizes usually have the same resolution. I actually looked at both 17" and 19" displays before selecting the larger. I found the 19" display significantly more comfortable to work with. Making it well worth the additional cost. But I spend a signficant portion of each day using my equipment. Someone with more youthful eyes and / or someone who spends less time looking at a display may be satisfied with 17".

I'd suggest that the sister should take the time to visit a retail outlet and look at displays in both sizes to see if she feels strongly one way or the other. I would caution that many outlets don't have setups that provide the best display possible on monitors. They often have split the signal so much that some lcd panels will appear a little fuzzy, or they don't use the native resolution of the monitor. Ideally a monitor being examined should be the only one connected to the system and the display resolution must be set to the native resolution of the monitor (usually 1280 x 1024 for the monitors being discussed).
 
before you check the warranty, you should check if they have a service center locally, so that you can drop off the screen for repair.

NEC, I believe, is mail in, swap only, at least for the 1st year. And I think it's repair on 2nd & 3rd yr.

If Philips offer the same warranty say, but they are repair, and there is no service center in your local area, you could be waiting for 2 weeks w/o a LCD
 
Thanks for all the input so far.


That looks like a good deal on the sony, I have an OD near by so I will check it out.


I like a 19 cause I cant see to pee without my glasses. My sis is not that bad but she wares them also and dosent need to get any worse.
 
Back
Top