trying to avoid problems with psu

LordLeeCH

Weaksauce
I consider myself fairly literate but in this case I know I need to gather more information.

I have an older Antec Power Supply that I am afraid will not work for Crossfired 6870's. All of the power supply calculators I have used show that I will be around 575 watts for what I have in my system. PLEASE NOTE: I know those calculators are not absolute, thus the 575 (ballpark) that it shows bothers me.
I got a great deal on several Acer H233H 23" panels and I want to run eyefinity. I figure since the 6xxx scale so well, a 2nd 6870 would be worth it.

My machine specs are in my sig.

Also, I just purchased a Logitech G13 that I will be using with the system.

Thanks for your help on this community, I really appreciate it!

i think the calculator reccomends a wattage of PSU needed not actual power draw,you would honestly struggle to break 400 watts with that setup,you psur is perfectly fine

Technically that PSU is sufficient for your system. However, the Truepower Trio series wasn't that great, so if you can afford to replace the PSU with something newer and better, I would recommend doing so.

I have been looking at This one. Supposedly its a rebadged Seasonic. I was just wondering if I was overspeccing my psu or if it would be ok to pocket the cash and hang on to the Antec.

Thanks for all the input thus far.

Well, you don't quite need that much power, but it wouldn't hurt. That PSU is an excellent unit, and you really can't go wrong, especially considering the price.

Update - Got the second 6870 in today. I had a couple of issues but they were user error. Power is stable and machine is running fine. Thanks for the input!

Thinking of upgrading to an H50 next but if I do that I believe I will definatley grab a bigger supply.

So you're running 6870 in cross fire in 650watt fine ?

just curious ?

I've same watt PSU, but using quad core with single VGA, want to try SLI or cross fire but refuse to upgrade my PSU, it will good info if 650w can run 6870 crossfired

Yes I am. I am Running an Antec Truepower Trio (in my signature and linked in the above posts).

I have both cards overclocked a bit and its running fine.

Quick update -

I started having issues with the PC locking up. It happens at random intervals. I read somewhere that I should up my NB voltage a bit. I took it up 2 steps (forgive me for not giving the exact volts) in the bios. The pc crawls a bit occasionally but straightens out a few seconds later and continues fine. I think it is more of a Crossfire issue than an overclock issue.

Again thanks for all of the help ya'll!

If you're running with SLI, for me, I don't feel safe using an 650watt PSU, eventhough I think it will still fit just enough. But I always want my PSU to have enough room for me to step up or can give me enough juice if I want some extreme voltage upping, so I think you should thinking upgrading PSU for more or equivalent with 750watt

Yea, the issue I was having was the voltage on the cards. I ended up having to push it up to 1.250.

I am still looking at a power supply though. The one I linked above has a coupon code at Newegg right now that knocks off another 13 bucks. Between that and the mail in rebate, it comes out to like $92.00

Back