Trying i7-870 OC using "Offset" method for vCore, need some help

jid

n00b
Hi all,

I'm following lots of guides and info from forums to do my first oc, the method I want to follow somewhat is what others call "dynamic overclock" where you use a lot of the power saving features, although I personally want to skip out on c3 and c6.

So apparently one of the things that is necessary to get vCore to save power and lower heat in idle properly is to adjust vCore with Offset rather than setting a static voltage, this is easy enough. For example I initially set my offset to 0.125 so that in CPUz I ended up with ~1.35v at various loads so that I could check how my cooling would do with that kind of voltage, and at idle the core would drop to ~1v helping with power saving and heat, speedstep and c1e seem to bo working properly.

So far so good but the thing no guide or forum posts I found mentioned was what happens with the IMC (vtt), you can not use offset for this just a static voltage which I ended up setting to 1.32v just for the quick test I was doing.

I've read lots of times the vtt should be no more or less than 0.03-0.05v off from vCore, so what happens to the vtt when the cpu goes into a power saving state and drops vCore to ~1v, will vtt scale down also if it's set to a static voltage in BIOS? or does that rule only matter for load conditions? Or am I just causing problems for my CPU?

Back