. . . try to figure out this problem . . WIERD

jnick

2[H]4U
Hey guys,

So last weekend we built 2 brand new systems. The specs can bee seen in my sig. We built 2 of the IDENTICAL machines, with the exceptions of HDD manufacturers, and DVD Burners.

Once both systems were up and running, we noticed that my dads system would hang right after it showed the memory status It will hang for exactly 19 seconds, then will go to "Detecting IDE Devices".

Now I''ve tried jumpers, IDE cables, and the loot. I have figured out the problem . . . but it makes ZERO sense nor do I have a solution.

We both have Dell 2005FPW monitors. The monitors require a USB to be plugged into the monitor, then into your computer. So I plugged the USB into 1 of the 4 slots of the onboard USBs. When it is plugged in, she hangs.

So I said what the hell, I just won't power the monitors USB prots, and unplugged the cable. It now only takes 4 seconds to get to "Detecting IDE Device" (just as long as my computer), but when it goes to boot up into windows, it freezes at "Boot from CD-ROM", and will not go any further. My boot priority is CD-ROM > Hard Disk > Floppy, and has always been like that.

So I then tried to plug the monitor USB into a 4-Port PCI USB card , , , She freezes just as if she was unplugged.

So if she's plugged in, the computer hangs 19 seconds on the POST screen, then advances.

If she's unplugged, or not plugged into the motherboard's onboard USB slots, she hangs just before windows starts to boot/load, and doesn't advance.

Any suggestions? This just makes ZERO sense to me.

Thanks in advance guys.

Jnick

Hmmmm, sounds like it's trying boot from a USB device. Many new mobos are setup to be able to boot froma USB pen / thumb drive, since floppy drives are going away. Is this the only USB device you have attached? Check your boot priority settings. If it has "Boot from another device" I'd disable it. Also check if you have a "Boot from USB" I'd disable that too. Also disable anything you're not using; Parallel, Serial, Game, MIDI anything.

Thanks for the replys guys.

Here's an Update.

If the monitor is plugged in, once windows is ON, you get the Du-dun, and then in the bubble it says "Power Surge on USB Hub".

I was able to get the computer running fine, if I change the boot priority to Hard Disk first, and keep the monitor unplugged, it works fine.

My guess is it may be related to the power supply. He has an ULTRA 500W Power Supply.

Buth then again, so do I . . . And mine works. However, My dad also has a 3-in-1 printer (Canon MP700) and a Palm hooked up into a USB PCI Card.

Do you think it's time for a new PS?

Thanks guys.

Jnick

Back