Trusted Reviews and the Hiper Type-R 580

wonkman

Limp Gawd
This PSU seems to get a lot of good reviews. But Trusted reviews had a problem with it:

The +12V connector is removable and this is where things are starting to look slightly odd. On a normal PSU the +12V connector is wired up with two 12V and two ground wires. On the Type R, the connector to the PSU only has two holes, which means that you only get one 12V and one ground connection.

This is a cheap approach and Hiper has followed it up on the PCI Express graphics card power connector as well, although this time things are far worse. Even though the physical connector has three holes, only two of them are used. This means that three 12V wires and three ground wires are connected to one connector each. This could bode trouble for high-end PCI Express graphics cards as some of them will not function properly unless you have two separately wired 12V connectors.

Hiper @ Trusted Reviews

Some of the connectors have only 2 pins ( link below). But it is NVidia SLI certified. What's the deal? Is trusted reviews correct about this while most other sites praise the Hiper?

Hiper Type-R

Seeings how there are all of about 4 sites/people that do good reviews (trusted being one of them).......most of the ones you have seen are garbage.

Importantly Tursted also found this:

the Type R performed quite respectably in our load tests with no major upsides or downsides.

Now to go look at the Hiper a little closer.

???

Trusted Reviews gave it a 3 out of 10 with the following conclusion:

It is very hard to recommend a product that fails during testing and the Hiper Type R just doesn’t cut it. Although it has a few minor flaws, it seems to be a poor PSU, as it was the only one that failed after the stress test. More worryingly this was only at 436W, not even close to the rated 580W. To kick it while it’s down, the Type R didn’t pass the Hi-POT tests either, even though it is rated for it. You can get a much better PSU for £63.44 so we’d steer clear of this one.

Verdict The Hiper Type R looks great, but sadly it is troubled by poor wiring and proved unreliable.

I'm not bashing the Hiper. I just want to know about the 2 pin connection issue brought up by TR.

I was unaware of the two wires. That's about as bad as using a 20-to-24-pin adapter or a 4-pin Molex to PCI-e adapter. In other words: Bad. High amperage on a single lead can result in higher resistance that can drop voltages. Then again, I don't know what the gage of the wire is. If it's heavier gage wire (don't know... they didn't say) it could compensate.

The fact remains that "the Type R performed quite respectably in [their] load tests with no major upsides or downsides." and under heavy loads, even 75% load (which I have to assume is as high as they got the unit before it failed since they said the PSU failed at 436W,) if you have a resistance problem to be concerned with, you WILL see a drop in voltage.

How "trusted" is Trusted Reviews? Was the sample defective? Who knows? Whas Hiper contacted about the problem? Dunno. But a grounding fault in ANY power supply is far from normal and should be considered defective. NOT an inherent flaw, and that's where I have an issue with Trusted Reviews. I question their motives when they test two year old power supplies at two year old prices against two month old power supplies with current pricing and call it a level playing field.. and then do it all under Topower's roof.

Sorry... I have my issues with any Andyson built power supply running at > 480W for any period of time in anything warmer than a meat locker, but I have more issues with power supply reviews that are missing information.

You really only need one ground not two. Could it be that the two pins are the 12V and the threaded coupling is the ground?

Actually, you'd want more grounds than hot if possible. Lack of a good ground can cause resistance, heat in the wires, and falling voltages.

Is it possible the shield is a ground? Absolutely (again, I need to actually have one in front of me to see how the cables are made.) Does it matter since that still only leaves on 12V lead? Nope.

OK I found this PDF on Hiper's site that shows the configuration of each of the cable connections. Take a look an see if it makes any sense.

The PDF makes sense, but why they didn't use more than two wires does not.

It appears to me that the shield is not a ground.

In all the gushing reviews of the Hiper, why didn't anyone notice this possible issue? I'm not all that familiar with electrical design but it seems that some of these reviews should have noted this.

Because if they had... the reviews wouldn't be gushing! :D

Ok.. Now I know I'm going to have to buy one to review. If I don't blow it up, I'm sure I can sell it once I'm done. :D

Back