• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

TRUE with Q-Fan

G0M3S

Weaksauce
Joined
May 21, 2009
Messages
67
Hey, I was looking at getting a TRUE cooler and putting a 120mm or two on it, but I was looking for a cooler that supported q-fan, so that the fan would ramp up when its hotter, and slow down when its cooler.

Should I even worry about this? Or should I just get a good quiet fan and just leave it?

Also would you say its worth the upgrade at all? Its for the system in sig. I've got a Zalman CNPS9700 which I bought almost 2 years ago. It's alright, but it is a little hot, about 80 C when running prime95 @ 3.2GHz.

Thanks in advance.
 
Assuming your ambient temps are not really high, I'd say yes, there definitely is room for improvement. Zalman was good at one time, but IMHO, their designs just can't cope with quads, certainly not for the asking prices. The TRUE would certainly shave at least a few degrees off at lower noise levels, although in your case, maybe more. 80c seems excessive for a Q6600 @ only 3.2. What kind of volts are you pumping through that CPU anyway? And are you running the fan at full tilt or no?

FYI, I have mine at 3.6/1.465 on a Xigmatek 1283 (original; comparable to the TRUE, and alot cheaper), and I haven't seen over the mid-60s at most, and that was in this past summer's heat wave here in SoCal. That's with the fan on the 1283 at full tilt, forced by Abit uGuru, since it's a PWM fan and by default my board dials it back some. I can't say that I hear it over my video card, even at low as 60%. Then again, my temp results are NOT from P95, I'm talking F@H SMP readings, I haven't run P95 since building my rig some time ago, and didn't do so when swapping my water cooling for the 1283.

My personal vote would obviously be for a 1283, and wait if you can. If you time it right, I've seen it for as low as $27 AR w/ free shipping through the usual suspects (~$37 normal).... ~1/2 the price of a TRUE and fan combo.

[edit] Speak of the devil. Newegg's got the S1283 @ $31.49, $26.49 AR (thru 06/30) - with a "free" USB cable. Shipping is $7 though :(. Add ~$10 for a bolt thru mount, if you don't want to use the stock 1283 push pins (or buy the Dark Knight 1283/1283V - I'm pretty sure it comes w/ the bolt through stock). Although, while fiddly in practice, I had good luck with the push pins, but wouldn't mind have that bit of extra piece of mind that would come with bolt-thru though, and perhaps slightly better temps to boot.
 
Last edited:
I've got the fan only running at about half speed, I think its about 1700RPM. I don't have the voltage high, at 1.3V, I've got a Antec P182, with all the other fans on low.

Also, I'm in Canada and work at a computer store, so I just get all my hardware through my boss. I'll see what he can get. If not I might just wait for the Canadian dollar, since its almost at par again.
 
So I did some looking around and I think I'll with the Dark Knight 1283, it comes with the bolt through kit, which I like. But it also has the feature that I was asking about, its got a 4-pin header on the fan meaning it works with the q-fan feature. Thanks for the suggestion :)
 
Back
Top