TRUE really got beaten?!!

but i think TRUE is not always the king, it depends on what condition you are using it under

The Prolimatech Megahalems looks good, but finding one for sale is the issue.

If price is a factor then I believe the S1283 beats the TRUE. Sure its usually a few tenths of a degree warmer but you pay around 2/3 the money for it (I got my S1283 for 26.99 AR + about 10 bucks for the mounting bracket on newegg). I'm curious about the Megahalems' pricing, though. If it costs less than $50 then they may have a big winner. Of course, you could also argue that the differences in cooler prices are negligible for high-end PC's, especially since most people who buy high-end coolers are shelling out well over $1000 for the entire PC, excluding peripherals.

Again, another site that doesn't do comparisons between the heatsinks after lapping. Fail :(

Overclocked Test Results

Here it is, the only section that matters in the world of high-performance overclocking and aftermarket CPU coolers

In the world of high-performance overclocking and aftermarket CPU coolers, anyone who gives a rats ass about 1 or 2 degrees is lapping their heatsink bases.

Just saw this at FrozenCPU, but it is damned EXPENSIVE.

I've noticed over the years that most stuff is at FrozenCPU.com. Occasionally I'll get something there if nowhere else has it, but I usually go Jab-tech or somewhere else less "snooty". (not that they are or that people that shop there are necessarily, but the "high class" look vs. utilitarian of sites like Jab-Tech and Petra's is what I'm referring to.)

Looking at the original article from Benchmark reviews, and the one from Legion hardware, shows that something is off in one set of results ! Regardless of the the test methods the difference between different products should be similar. Now how would Benchmark say that the CM is 7.5c hotter than the True, yet Legion has it 1c cooler ?

Except the TRUE beats both the CM coolers in looks because those things are hideous. :p

I can find reviews where the true still beats them... depends on more than just the cooler. In many reviews you can also find that the earlier version of the 120 with less heatpipes (3/6) performed better than the newer one with 4/8. When you start looking at CPU's with heatpipes, sometimes more pipes isnt as good as fewer because if there isnt enough heat production to cause rapid phase change within each pipe, the cooler with fewer 'lanes' will actually work better than one with more. For instance, if your CPU produces 50 watts of heat, and you have a cooler with 4 heatpipes that each require 20 watts of heat to remain active and at peak transfer rates, you wont see as impressive results as if you were using a CPU that produces 80 watts of heat. That, and not all heatpipes are made the same... and as cores on CPU's shrink in their process, the 'stray' electrons increase (idle temps go up while load temps go down). So it might seem that some older CPU's with higher wattages were being cooled better... or were they just 'leaking less' at idle?

Both The Coolermaster V8 and V10 also beat the TRUE.

It's not the king anymore.

I'm not so sure this is true. From the reviews I've seen the TRUE and V8 are pretty close with the TRUE coming out on top. I would hope the V10 beats the TRUE since it has a peltier and is over $100.

I had a regular TRUE and sold it awhile ago when I though I was not going to do much PC gaming. I then bought the CM V8 when I got a new case with a window because I think it looks good and I liked the fan design with it in the middle, but the install is a pita with those nuts and bolts and you must install if from the back of the MB. With the TRUE you can use double sided molding tape to attach the backplate to the MB the first time. Then in the future you don't need to take out the MB to access the CPU. With the V10 I believe you have to remove the heatsink and MB just to access the RAM. I returned the CM V8 and got TRUE Black. I probably would have tried a Prolimatech, but I they are way too hard to find.

I've saw different reviews and found that the V10 is complete trash. On Maximum PC, the V10 couldn't even beat the Zalman CNPS9900...

If price is a factor then I believe the S1283 beats the TRUE. Sure its usually a few tenths of a degree warmer but you pay around 2/3 the money for it (I got my S1283 for 26.99 AR + about 10 bucks for the mounting bracket on newegg). I'm curious about the Megahalems' pricing, though. If it costs less than $50 then they may have a big winner. Of course, you could also argue that the differences in cooler prices are negligible for high-end PC's, especially since most people who buy high-end coolers are shelling out well over $1000 for the entire PC, excluding peripherals.

I agree with you, plus you don't need to worry about lapping and the mount.

This Megahalem looks like a really nice cooler. I just want to see some lapped benches.

I doubt it will beat a lapped and pressure modded TRUE as well, but it will be nice to have an off the shelf product that doesn't need to be modded to perform well. The mounting system looks real nice too.

Edit: Grammer

I don't it will beat a lapped and pressure modded TRUE as well, but it will be nice to have an off the shelf product that doesn't need to be modded to perform well. The mounting system looks real nice too.

I never needed to lap or mod my TRUE to get some very impressive results. I did notice a 2-3c improvement in using MX2 over AS5 with it, though.

I never needed to lap or mod my TRUE to get some very impressive results. I did notice a 2-3c improvement in using MX2 over AS5 with it, though.

Yeah it still performs well out of the box, but theres more performance potential with lapping and the washer mod.

Speaking of the TRUE, what the frak is this:

ThermalrightSearch01.jpg

I do a search for thermalright in google, and look at their description. Nude pics?? WTF!

No photoshopping whatsoever.

Also, will a new backplate work with my current TRUE to make it work on an i7? If yes, anyone have a link to the right one?

WTF?

It's still active...lol.

Speaking of the TRUE, what the frak is this:

ThermalrightSearch01.jpg

I do a search for thermalright in google, and look at their description. Nude pics?? WTF!

No photoshopping whatsoever.

Also, will a new backplate work with my current TRUE to make it work on an i7? If yes, anyone have a link to the right one?

Well at least we know what one of Thermalright employees is up to during his work hours :D

9x out of 10 that is because the cpu used to do the review doesn't get hot enough for the V10 to ever enable its pelt.

If that is the case.....why even pay this much for it? obviously we don't need it then :D

Most reviews show that the V10 doesn't fluctuate as much as other coolers, especially under load. It gets to a temp and sticks there.

Worth the money? Depends on the person I guess.

I wouldn't buy it for anything less than an i7 though, as you can get coolers that will perform almost as well for less money.

Most reviews show that the V10 doesn't fluctuate as much as other coolers, especially under load. It gets to a temp and sticks there.

Umm......my TRUE does the same as well as my Xigmatek or the Mugen 2 for that matter....i see no fluctution when running Prime95 and Intel BurnIn together.

I'm not trying to sell you a V10 man, I'm glad you love your True. I'm just trying to dispell FUD.

The megahalems are now available for pre-order @ frozencpu. They're planning to ship it by April 1st-3rd. I just preordered one in order to replace my v8. Any body has any idea what fan I should get with it? I'm looking for something quiet and moves a lot of air.

$69 plus shipping????? Holy cow, the suggested retail price was WAY lower than that. No thanks, i think frozencpu wants to make a quick coin. I think people should wait for others to get them in stock!

$69 plus shipping????? Holy cow, the suggested retail price was WAY lower than that. No thanks, i think frozencpu wants to make a quick coin. I think people should wait for others to get them in stock!

I don't think there's much of a choice. I'm not sure, but it probably is the retail price. And according to their site, only frozencpu and two other unknown sites are gonna get to sell it. Once again, there's not really much of a choice if you want it.

Back