True Next-Gen Titles?

BusyBeaverHP

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to create a list of true next-gen games to keep track of. Must be titles for XB1, PS4, and PC.

So far on my radar:

Batman: Arkham Knight
The Division
Witcher 3

Basically, titles that leaves behind X360, PS3, and loading screens. There are few and far between, but any more titles like these?

If going by "next gen", I'd assume that the future titles will not only be exclusive to the PS4, XONE and PC, but also using newer graphics engines and APIs.

For example, I'd probably not include Batman: Arkham Knight. It still uses Unreal Engine 3, but a damn good one to look at though if going by the most recent video. They have done a tremendous job out of that old UE3 engine. However, since it's exclusively being released for XONE, PS4, and PC, then it should have some honorable mention on the list.

Also, here's hoping we hear more news about Source 2 engine as well for future Valve and non-Valve titles that would use it. Games such as the on-again, off-again rumor mills of L4D3 or Half-Life 3-- are they coming or not?

So, for me, I'd say any future console or PC game using Unreal Engine 4, the latest CryEngine, or DirectX 11 or OpenGL 4.4 on the PC would also constitute next gen alongside titles released exclusively for the XONE and PS4. That would also mean newer graphics engines such as Oxide Games' Nitrous Engine, those using Mantle API from AMD, and DirectX 12, and XONE and PS4 exclusive engines are next gen as well.

Therefore, without further rambling, I'd extend the list to include the following:

• Cyberpunk 2077 by CD Projekt RED using REDEngine 3
  • The Division by Ubisoft
    • (Very wary of this given what happened to Watch_Dogs. See E3 2012 versus current PC ultra settings video.) This game should not be considered if the previous demo video ends up looking vastly different in the final version.
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt by CD Projekt RED using REDEngine 3
  • Project Beast for PS4 by FROM Software (Dark Souls series, Demon's Souls)
  • RIME by Tequila Works for PS4 using Unreal Engine 4
  • EVOLVE using CryEngine (4th. Generation) by Turtle Rock Studios
  • Homefront 2 using CryEngine (4th. Gen) by Crytek UK
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance using CryEngine (4th. Gen) by Warhorse Studios for Windows, OSX, Linux, PS4 and XONE
  • Star Citizen by Cloud Imperium Games for Windows and OSX using CryEngine (4th. Gen)
  • EVE: Valkyrie by CCP Games using Unreal Engine 4
  • Primal Carnage: Genesis by Lukewarm Media using Unreal Engine 4 for Windows and PS4
  • Black Desert by Pearl Abyss using an in-house engine, a sandbox MMORPG.
  • The Order: 1866 by Ready at Dawn using RAD Engine 4.0 exclusively for PS4
Small list isn't it?

With DirectX 12 unreleased still, there are no newly announced games for it. The same goes for Mantle API outside of Oxide Stuidos using it.

I'm sure in the coming months we'll see more titles exclusive to XONE, PS4, and PC. It's just that so many developers will still use older graphics engines because of the X360 and PS3, and those not moving on from Windows XP (DirectX 9.0c). Even titles that use DirectX 11 are still supporting DirectX 10, and very few of those titles still have support for DirectX 9 systems.

It would honestly be great to see more game titles on the PC exclusively using CryEngine (4th. Gen), DirectX 11, Unreal Engine 4, OpenGL 4.x, or other game engines and APIs that no longer support older Windows operating systems like XP and Vista, or drop support for those older operating systems entirely. That and using only 64-bit operating systems exclusively.

On the console front, a good majority of the PS4 and XONE titles still have X360 and PS3 ports. Very few upcoming titles are exclusive to the PS4 and XONE alone. Even a game like Destiny is still going to be released on PS3 and X360.

Thus, the list is very short on both exclusivity and using newer engines and APIs, and having very few developers no longer supporting older operating systems, the X360, and the PS3.

Destiny will be!!! because it takes all them Bungie guys and that Made Halo series popular and create there own game. You need a console to play the game which makes it great unless you only PC game.

There isn't a single truly next-gen title announced so far. Yes, it's that bad. Everything looks pretty terrible. Even that Order crap movie Sony is trying to sell as a game.

Destiny will be!!! because it takes all them Bungie guys and that Made Halo series popular and create there own game. You need a console to play the game which makes it great unless you only PC game.
What? NO, Destiny is being released for the X360 and PS3.

Once again. Cross-gen? Crossed off my list.

There isn't a single truly next-gen title announced so far. Yes, it's that bad. Everything looks pretty terrible. Even that Order crap movie Sony is trying to sell as a game.

There isn't anything really to look forward to regarding PC period this year, hardware included.

There isn't anything really to look forward to regarding PC period this year, hardware included.
In a way, I agree.

That list I made was a bit hard to make. Looking at various engines and companies, there isn't a whole lot of "true next gen" games or pseudo ones even.

A large majority of developers are still developing games for the 360 and PS3, and most likely because of the larger player base and market share. On the PC front, we are still having developers using the antiquated DirectX 9 API. Very few developers are bothering with a DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 hybrid. And, even rarer are developers going DirectX 11-only.

As for OpenGL, I have not seen a game use the newest OpenGL 4.4 API, with many games made using OpenGL are using OpenGL 3.x probably because of Intel IGP's lack of OGL 4+ support. For cross-platform games across different platforms on the computer, there aren't even many games that are natively coded for Linux and OSX either.

As for newer game engines such as Unreal Engine 4 and CryEngine 4th. Gen, majority of the developers are not fully exploiting what's possible with either engine. Worse still are games made with UE4 or CE 4G are still being ported back down to 360 and PS3.

It's rather sad in my opinion the state of gaming is nowadays. Drop the usage of older APIs (DX 9, OGL 3), hardware and operating systems. Give a reason for people to buy newer hardware for the PC. Make our gaming PCs worth all the money spent for it. Give someone a reason to spend $400 on a new XONE or PS4. Show those "who cry wolf" that the PC is dying something to talk about. DirectX 11, OpenGL 4.4, and newer game engines were made for a reason, yet I have not seen a developer fully utilize the full feature set and capabilities made available to them.

In a way, I agree.

That list I made was a bit hard to make. Looking at various engines and companies, there isn't a whole lot of "true next gen" games or pseudo ones even.

A large majority of developers are still developing games for the 360 and PS3, and most likely because of the larger player base and market share. On the PC front, we are still having developers using the antiquated DirectX 9 API. Very few developers are bothering with a DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 hybrid. And, even rarer are developers going DirectX 11-only.

As for OpenGL, I have not seen a game use the newest OpenGL 4.4 API, with many games made using OpenGL are using OpenGL 3.x probably because of Intel IGP's lack of OGL 4+ support. For cross-platform games across different platforms on the computer, there aren't even many games that are natively coded for Linux and OSX either.

As for newer game engines such as Unreal Engine 4 and CryEngine 4th. Gen, majority of the developers are not fully exploiting what's possible with either engine. Worse still are games made with UE4 or CE 4G are still being ported back down to 360 and PS3.

It's rather sad in my opinion the state of gaming is nowadays. Drop the usage of older APIs (DX 9, OGL 3), hardware and operating systems. Give a reason for people to buy newer hardware for the PC. Make our gaming PCs worth all the money spent for it. Give someone a reason to spend $400 on a new XONE or PS4. Show those "who cry wolf" that the PC is dying something to talk about. DirectX 11, OpenGL 4.4, and newer game engines were made for a reason, yet I have not seen a developer fully utilize the full feature set and capabilities made available to them.

hence, only reason I have only spent 400$ on upgrading my gaming rig in last 3 years now with just an amd 290. Nothing really pushing me to do more on the PC end anymore other than an epeen status. But folks are happy enough with the status quo. I do enjoy buying new consoles because you actually end up getting new IPs and new sequels, see Naughty Dog Uncharted 4 actually seeming to try to push the hardware envelope on the console.

the fact that the first Crysis STILL holds up well to "next gen" games is a testament the said state of games on the PC

Exactly, To think how much better Crysis(2007) looked compared to games seven years earlier back in 2000 it was a quantum leap.....It's pretty sad to think how little games have come seven years "after" Crysis has come out.

What? NO, Destiny is being released for the X360 and PS3.

Once again. Cross-gen? Crossed off my list.

Don't limit yourself from good games just because they won't harness the power of your platform of choice.

Having said that, the recent gameplay video of Destiny makes it look like a very generic game, unfortunately.

Exactly, To think how much better Crysis(2007) looked compared to games seven years earlier back in 2000 it was a quantum leap.....It's pretty sad to think how little games have come seven years "after" Crysis has come out.

It's only going to get worse. The power in the new consoles is already tapped out.

Back