• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

TRUE good enough to cool 2600K?

davidm71

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 11, 2004
Messages
1,570
I am planing on replacing the stock heatsink on the 2600k with my trusty true heatsink. you guys feel if its up to the task?

thanks
 
Is it up to the task?

You already own it...so how bout...Is it better than the stock POS?
 
Yes, absolutely it's good enough. The 2600K runs cooler than previous generation Intel CPU's so the tried and true TRUE will work very well.
 
How do you get your TRUE mounted on your MB? do you use an adapter? I'd like to see if my TRUE is more efficient at high loads than the CM Hyper 212+ I now use.
 
My 2500K @ 4.7 tops out at 60 with my TRUE at full load. I'm pretty sure that the Hyper212 tends to do 70.
 
Are we talking about the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme?
 
SB only has a 95w tdp, versus 130w for the i7-9xx, so any cooler that worked well on that will work even better on SB (assuming it has 1155/6 mounting brackets)

Are we talking about the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme?

Yup.
 
I'm using the "auto offset" feature of the Asus Pro board. It always stays under 1.4v, sometimes getting into the 1.38 range

Pretty good volts then. I'll need to reset when replacing the MB.
 
I don't think the washer mod is necessary anymore. The new mounthing hardware for the 1155/1556 socket holds the cooler very tight.

Mine is runs pretty hot, but I'm using a slow quiet fan and my voltage is a bit high.
My 2600K @ 4.7 get to 85C with 1.41v and a 1200 rpm fan.
 
I don't think the washer mod is necessary anymore. The new mounthing hardware for the 1155/1556 socket holds the cooler very tight.

Mine is runs pretty hot, but I'm using a slow quiet fan and my voltage is a bit high.
My 2600K @ 4.7 get to 85C with 1.41v and a 1200 rpm fan.


Isn't 85 degree be too hot specially with TRUE? I thought that these 2nd generation Ci7 are as cool as Wolfdale
 
My TRUE cooled my 2600K very well up to around 1.3V/4.5 GHz or so. I think that's true with all decent air cooling though.

How do you get your TRUE mounted on your MB? do you use an adapter? I'd like to see if my TRUE is more efficient at high loads than the CM Hyper 212+ I now use.

I used this:

Thermalright Socket 1156 Bolt-Thru-Kit

Best price I could find because you can select First Class USPS instead of Ground or Priority.
 
My TRUE keeps my my i7 860 cool and the sandy bridge chips are supposed to be cooler than my gen of i7
 
Thanks, Aldamon. I'll give that a try if I find my cooler to be ineffective. I have run the chip @ 4.8Ghz, 1.4-1.45v (CPU-Z), and used wPrime to test all 8 cores at 100% load. Temps got up to 82c on the hottest core. Room is warm enough to take shirt off and not feel cold, so I assume ~75f.
 
Isn't 85 degree be too hot specially with TRUE? I thought that these 2nd generation Ci7 are as cool as Wolfdale

That all goes out the window once you start overclocking and increasing the voltage. Also keep in mind I'm using a pretty quiet 1,200 rpm fan. I think you usually see 1,600 rpm fans used on TRUE's.

Stock vs Stock yes the the 2600K should run cooler than a 920 or what not.
 
Back
Top