TRUE fan recommendations?

Arklight

Gawd
I heard a low-speed fan would do well, but wanted soem more opinions.

What fans are you other TRUE owners using, and are you using 2 in a push-pull configuration or just a singular fan?

I am building an i7 and getting the Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme - 1366 RT which comes with a fan, however, I am not sure how well this stock fan will perform. There are a ton of great fans available out there so I might pick up a few "just in case".

Thanks!

Low speed, med, or high speed?

I was looking at the Scythe S-Flex Fan - SFF21F.

Thx, Voklskier!

I use a medium speed yate loon with mine. I have use two of them in push/pull, but I only noticed a couple of degrees difference.

Thanks for the info all. It is much appreciated. Athlon, those fans were one of my top choices

On a side note, I was over at Jab-tech and they are advertising the Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme - 1366 RT as a new product. I thought it wasn't out yet. Are they advertising for something that has yet to be released or have some sites started getting them in? I noticed it also comes with a fan.

Fan Specs:

Dimension: L120*W120*H25mm
Bearing type: FDB (Fluid Dynamic Bearing)
Rated Speed: 1600RPM
Noise Level: 28.0 dBA
Air Flow: 63.7CFM

Fan Specs:

Dimension: L120*W120*H25mm
Bearing type: FDB (Fluid Dynamic Bearing)
Rated Speed: 1600RPM
Noise Level: 28.0 dBA
Air Flow: 63.7CFM

Same thing as a SFF21F just with the Thermalright packing/logo.

I would recommend the SFF21F/TR one or any medium/high speed 120x38 fan with the TRUE.

Is the fan that comes with it going to be ok for OC'ing this rig (i920)?

If I need to add another fan later that is fine, but since it comes with one I would like to give it a go first if possible.

the fan that comes with it should be fine...... if you're not satisfied with the temps when you've given it a good thrashing then get a new fan / fans, my TRUE black i had on my last quad rig performed so well that a low speed yate loon fan on it worked great.

I would recommend a low or medium speed Yate Loon over the Scythe. This is mainly a cost issue though, both are going to do the job very well. But the Yate Loons would do it at half the cost. Petra's Tech Shop is where I'd go for Yate Loons as they get the fans directly from Yate Loon and not a third party supplier, this means consistent quality.

Im running the new cm v8. It's best the U120 when overclocked by a degree :)

a little pricey but it just came out. It has speed adj too.

Currently running an 800rpm Scythe on it which is keeping an e6700 plenty cool enough at 3.0ghz. Dead silent...cant hear it at all. One fan id like to try on it though is a Scythe Kaze 38mm thick fan on a controller. TRUE has alot of pretty tight fins, so you need some good static pressure.

I was using a pair of SanAces in push/pull at full speed ([H]ardcore overkill). The pressure on these fans is insane.

I used to use a pair of arctic cooling PWM fans on my TRUE black, rated 400-1500 rpm. Had them set to run just over 900 rpm for everyday use, only ramping up in speed when gaming.

DSC00109Medium.jpg

Recently changed them for 2x2000 rpm sharkoon silent eagles, ran via an akasa fan controller, do a great job on my oc'ed q6600
Load.
untitled-1.jpg

Idle
CoreTemp-Scr-2.jpg

Personally I use 2 of these: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6661/fan-399/Noctua_NF-P12_120mm_x_25mm_Fan_-_543_CFM_at_19_dBA.html?tl=g36c15s60 Noctua NF-P12's in a push pull config.

I have bought several fans, Panflo, Scythe, Yate Loon, even AC Ryans, and none of them compare to the build quality of the Noctua's, not to mention they are nearly silent, and do a great job cooling. I have my E8400 Oc'd to 4.05 GHZ 24/7, and even after a couple of hours gaming I never jump over 48 celsius.

They cost a bit more, but worth it I think.

Personally I use 2 of these: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6661/fan-399/Noctua_NF-P12_120mm_x_25mm_Fan_-_543_CFM_at_19_dBA.html?tl=g36c15s60 Noctua NF-P12's in a push pull config.

I have bought several fans, Panflo, Scythe, Yate Loon, even AC Ryans, and none of them compare to the build quality of the Noctua's, not to mention they are nearly silent, and do a great job cooling. I have my E8400 Oc'd to 4.05 GHZ 24/7, and even after a couple of hours gaming I never jump over 48 celsius.

They cost a bit more, but worth it I think.

I love my Noctua P12's, they are indeed quiet and push a lot of air. Anandtech had nothing but praise for them when they reviewed the Noctua 120mm cooler:

These test results for the Noctua are truly impressive, but they do not dethrone the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme - at least not yet. The superb component here is the Noctua NF-P12 fan, which is a brilliant piece of engineering. We doubt our Thermalright or any air-cooler will top the 3.94GHz that seems to be the limit of our test bed Core 2 Duo. However, we suspect the Thermalright combined with the NF-P12 could match or even exceed the results with the Noctua heatsink. Having said that the practical reality is it is not easy to mount two NF-P12 fans on a Thermalright, whereas the Noctua heatsink is designed for push-pull and even comes with the extra wires to make it easy.

There is no doubt the Noctua NH-U12P has joined the ranks of the best performing coolers ever tested at AnandTech. With two NF-12P fans in push-pull, it turns in the best cooling results at the highest overclocks we have ever seen. We can also recommend the Noctua NF-P12 fan for performance plus silence on the Thermalright. If you want a complete cooling kit balanced for performance with silence, the NH-U12P is an excellent choice.

The noctua NF-P12 is great. Can't beat it for $15. I just hate the color combo. I don't mind the blade color but the frame is just awful. What were they thinking?

I would like to paint the frame but I don't think the blade comes off. Anyone try to take it off without damaging it?

Nanoxia and GEILD are also good if you can find them. Read that Nanoxia is out of business. Don't know if that is true or not.

Nosieblocker Blacknoise are comparable to the noctua but are bit more money and you would need to mod the corners for them to use the wire clips.

Would like to see the new thermalright fan shrouds available as a separate accessory, would mean closed pillar fans could be used on the TRUE as well.

I'm using a SFF21F @ 8v - quiet, and enough static pressure to make a difference. They are pricey though.

If you don't care about noise, the Scythe Kama...whatever the 1900RPM one is...insane CFM, can be part of a wind tunnel shooting air through the TRUE and out of your case.

Its more a long-term reliability type thing, but I'd trust the Sony FDB to last longer on a heatsink than the Yate's bearings, so I almost always relegate Yates to case or radiator duty.

Thanks for all the responses, everybody! A lot of good information here. Much appreciated!

I got 2 of these xigmatek 120 xtreme silent fans for 8 bucks each at microcenter. You can probably get them cheaper on line. Quite tolerable noise wise.

72 cfm <24 db

They have them now...

Got my 1366 True tonight. In case anyone's wondering... the new fan shroud works fine for 120x38mm fans. It's obviously designed for the thinner fan they ship with it, but everything holds secure with the thick fan, once you push all those plastic fingers firmly into the heatsink fins.

My TRUE just arrived today, I ordered two 3000rpm Scythe Ultra Kaze fans with it. I'm expecting a new Q6600-based build to arrive in the mail tomorrow, and I aim to hit 3.8ghz :D:D:D But they may be a bit too loud for most.

My TRUE just arrived today, I ordered two 3000rpm Scythe Ultra Kaze fans with it. I'm expecting a new Q6600-based build to arrive in the mail tomorrow, and I aim to hit 3.8ghz :D:D:D But they may be a bit too loud for most.

Why didn't you get something less noisy like Noctua fans?

Got my 1366 True tonight. In case anyone's wondering... the new fan shroud works fine for 120x38mm fans. It's obviously designed for the thinner fan they ship with it, but everything holds secure with the thick fan, once you push all those plastic fingers firmly into the heatsink fins.

Where did you get it from? Which fan did you get? Does TRUE come with fan shroud or do you have to buy it separate?

Thanks! :D

Why didn't you get something less noisy like Noctua fans?

Primarily because I didn't find any Noctua fans that move 130+cfm and cost $12. I don't mind the extra noise, and I'll have a fan controller anyway if I want to tone it down a notch.

Thanks for the update on this mate:)

I recently clocked my Q6600 to 3.8ghz, cooled by a TRUE and 2xsharkoon silent eagle 2000 rpm fans. At full speed they werent really to bad noise wise, but helped to keep my temps below 70'c.

I was gettin the TRUE next week for my I7 in my new rig, and I have a question. Looking at the contents of the box that are included, how do you guys actually attach the fans? I saw the small metal brackets that setter had, I didnt know if those were included? and what size fans are actually used

I was gettin the TRUE next week for my I7 in my new rig, and I have a question. Looking at the contents of the box that are included, how do you guys actually attach the fans? I saw the small metal brackets that setter had, I didnt know if those were included? and what size fans are actually used
The fans are attached by two wire spring strips that hook into the cooler and then clip into the fans, although the fans youll need for this method need to have open pillar corners. The alternative is the new fan shroud that FushionXP has kindly linked to (post above) theese are optional extras at $5.00 each. Fans required will be 120mm.

The fans are attached by two wire spring strips that hook into the cooler and then clip into the fans, although the fans youll need for this method need to have open pillar corners. The alternative is the new fan shroud that FushionXP has kindly linked to (post above) theese are optional extras at $5.00 each. Fans required will be 120mm.

Thanks alot bro, I appreciate it

Back