TRUE 120 Black edition...

i'd pay an extra $10. no more though.
figure, they did have to go through the trouble of plating them.

MMM I love black. Sadly I won't spend $150 to replace my 2 current TRUE's.

Dunno the price. Just popped up on Thermalright's site while was checking some things out. It's a PREVIEW item... Don't know what that means, but they have some new mofsett pieces too.

I love the way it looks. I agree about not paying more than 10 over regular true.

window or not, I will be willing to pay extra for it, but no more than $15

Wow it does look pretty badass. I dunno if I would pay anything extra if there wasnt some performance gain though.

Doesn't black absorb and emit heat better? So IN THEORY this would work better then the usual.

Doesn't black absorb and emit heat better? So IN THEORY this would work better then the usual.

In this case, since it works by radiative cooling the color isn't going to effect heat transfer. If anything, I wonder what kind of process they use to create the color, since it could actually be less thermally conductive than the unfinished aluminum.

DUDE.

If I can get a professionally lapped one of those...man...

My bank account is SORE, man...

In this case, since it works by radiative cooling the color isn't going to effect heat transfer. If anything, I wonder what kind of process they use to create the color, since it could actually be less thermally conductive than the unfinished aluminum.

the radiative cooling is eaxctly why it would in THEORY work better, black - especially matt black surfaces radiate and absorb heat better than shiny reflective ones.

I just spoke to a rep from Coolerguys.com

He stated that they have 2 cases on pre-order for the TRUE 120 Blacks and expect the shipment soon.
He said it will be approx $10 more then the standard TRUE 120.

I know a few guys in the DC Forum has been ordering from this company lately.
He told me that in the last 4 weeks, demand for these has doubled each week.
At first, they only ordered 1 case per week, now up to 4 and that barely enough.

Still trying to see if [H] can get a little discount for these. Not sure yet though.
I hope if we keep giving them good business we can work something out.

:eek: oooh sexy.

i'm still on stock cooling... $10... heck, i might even be willing to spend an extra $15. but not more than that :D

You're joking, right? The fan clips are far from best, but they're good enough, I had my case tip sideways once and the dang fan was still attached...

and everytime you have to re-attach the clips you end up cutting/scarping your fingers :eek:

The heatsink fins are pretty dang sharp, agreed.

but thats not my main complaint. Its the lower clips for the fan mount. The top ones go into the very top "stories" of fins, but the lower ones are just a little ledge that takes the pin, and when you are mounting the fan on it, ITS ANNOYING, especially when you have to take a hard drive out and the fan is too big and you have to remove it. Takes atleast 10 minutes to reattach both clips without botching it.

If you could get a black plated version of some Thermalright sink to fit the 8800 GTX (in SLI -- that's the deal-breaker with the HR-03 for me), plus black plated HR-04s for the northbridge and southbridge, black plated HR-02s for MOSFET areas, and a black plated TRUE 120.... it'd be like $250+ in sinks alone, but wow would it look sexy on something like the 780i / 790i Ultra with a black PCB and black PCB 8800 GTXs. Wow.

Kind of disappointing for me. I was expecting at least some sort of performance gain. Maybe another set of pipes, or something similar to the Direct Touch heat pipe technology. Looks great but I'm sure SOMETHING could have been done to at least gain a minimal increase in performance, not JUST the "cool factor".

No doubt the Xigmatek is looking much more appealing to the masses at this point. But then again, I'll be ordering one for my next build just because it's still the best air cooler available if you don't care about value.

I know this is probably a dumb question, but what would keep you from using a self-etching primer and then just lightly painting your regular heatsinks?

Would doing so really affect your performance that much?

I just ordered a bunch of TR heatsinks for my new build (sig) and would love to paint them black ...

I know this is probably a dumb question, but what would keep you from using a self-etching primer and then just lightly painting your regular heatsinks?

Would doing so really affect your performance that much?

I just ordered a bunch of TR heatsinks for my new build (sig) and would love to paint them black ...

Paint generally acts as an insulator. Enamel, Acrylic and Urethane are plastics, you know.
This thing is PLATED with a black oxidized nickel. Basically, a black colored version of the shiny mirror finish nickel plating that is used on the regular ThermalRight heatsinks. So it should have the same, if not better heat transfer characteristics.

Copper>nickel/platting for heat "dissipation", I'd only have to have this "back in black" version if it was "on display" lol. Still, it's....cool.

Will def. get this black beauty for my old 680i setup.
Really hope they do the HR09 type 4 i black too.

That $80 could go a long way to buying a better CPU in the first place....

Definitely... $100 for an air-cooling setup is getting to be ridiculous (Decent high-speed fan, Heatsink, shipping)

Xigmatek 1283's is performing on-par/better than the TRUE 120 and it's 1/2 the price...

Definitely... $100 for an air-cooling setup is getting to be ridiculous (Decent high-speed fan, Heatsink, shipping)

Xigmatek 1283's is performing on-par/better with the TRUE 120b and it's 1/2 the price...

I made some changes for ya :)

no argument from me about the price point. as far as i know the only advantage offered by the TRUE over the xigmatek cooler is clearence. and actually, i've been looking into DIY annodizing anyway.

Back