Troubleshooting Sapphire 5700xt crashes DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE....

Cereal Bus

n00b
I'm troubleshooting my nephew's new rig.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Asus ROG Strix x570 mitx mobo
8x2 Corsair vengeance RAM
Sapphire Nitro 5700xta
Corsair SF750 gold PSU

Problem happens ~50% of the time. Games are loading, but crashing soon afterwards, so it doesn't sound like it's because of load/heat. That said, he's playing CoD, and it works 50% of the time, and when it works, it's screaming fast and fantastic. (?!) I've posted the error below. What kind of error like this would only be happening intermittently?

Sapphire uses the off-the-shelf AMD drivers, which have been updated to the most current. 20.12.1
DirectX and Windows are current.

I'm a bit stumped. I built a very similar rig for his sister, with no issues, but one thing that surprised me was her 3700x runs around 1.35v, and his seemed to be running 1.45v pretty consistently. I'm wondering whether his super fancy mobo is doing some overclocking. It's one of the more advanced BIOS setups I've seen. Both mobos are ASUS x570, but his is the rog strix itx version, so it's a bit more advanced.

Anyone heard of anything like this? I'm headed over there to make sure all his connections (pcie, power etc) are nice and tight., and to fiddle around in the BIOS a bit. But I'm genuinely stumped.

Attachments

• Jason Error.jpg
    Jason Error.jpg
    687.1 KB · Views: 0
Could be that you have to reseat the GPU, maybe it is not making complete contact in the PCIe slot.

It could also be a power issue. Make sure you are using individual cables (if it takes two power cords, don't use the split cable, use 2 cables).

download and run DDU and then install the new 21.1.1 drivers. if it still happens, up the power limit 10%. if it still happens, up your RAM voltage to 1.4v. and i agree about the two cables^^. although there was a system here that ran a 5700xt on a single cable off a RX850 and it ran totally fine.

My ref XFX RX 5700 flashed XT needs both 12v rails on the Corsair CX 650 M .. one for one as it has two 8 pin connections and has always ran stable like that , my MSI RX 5700 Mech Oc only has one 8 pin connection , so I never flashed it because of that reason .

What pendragon1 said. RAM running at XMP? Try it at JDEC too, just in case. Had WHACK crashes for a bit related to that.

Agreed with what previous posters have said but one thing to ALWAYS do when encountering a problem like this: disable all overclocks. That means you might have to manually disable them as it sounds like your son's PC is throwing lots of extra voltage at the CPU.

Back