Troubleshooting Hyper-V guest "Unexpected Shutdown" issue

YeOldeStonecat

[H]F Junkie
So a few weeks ago...had a project. SBS03 running in ESXi 3.5 on an old Proliant ML350 server. Got a new Dell T-610 server...quad Xeon, 32 gigs of RAM, pair of SAS RAID 1 for the Server Hyper-V host install, 4x SAS drives RAID 5 for the storage volume.

Used 5Nine converter to flip the .vmdk to .vhd. Mounted fine..booted up, uninstalled VMware tools, installed Hyper-V agents, she settled in quite nicely. Running well.

However...twice, she's rebooted on her own...when I log in and get the "Previous shutdown was unexpected" error at login. Guests event viewer...nothing of help other than that error.

The Hyper-V host OS has not rebooted..she's been running for weeks on end. Event Viewer...System...all blue, no red entries for errors.

can i ask why you didnt do a p2v conversion of the sbs03 to the hyper-v? Thats how i do all my windows conversions from esxi to hyper-v never ends up with issues.

can i ask why you didnt do a p2v conversion of the sbs03 to the hyper-v? Thats how i do all my windows conversions from esxi to hyper-v never ends up with issues.

That was one of my two plans.....I posted a preference question in these forums prior to doing it and the vmdk to vhd convert tools seems to be the popular answer.

The two times that it's rebooted... Were they at/near the same time of day? Is it a scheduled process that is triggering it?

That was one of my two plans.....I posted a preference question in these forums prior to doing it and the vmdk to vhd convert tools seems to be the popular answer.

Ah bummer, i'd never convert disks when there is a more direct migration path. Hopefully that has nothing to do with your issue though.

The two times that it's rebooted... Were they at/near the same time of day? Is it a scheduled process that is triggering it?

Negative. Once in the day, other was an odd time over night.

Haven't seen it bounce since those 2 times...........hopefully she'll hold on, gotta do a migration to SBS11 and retire SBS03 in a few months.

Back