Troubleshooting help?

entropism

2[H]4U
OK, so over the past 2 weeks, my build has been giving me massive issues, and last night refused to turn on at all.

2 weeks ago, the computer initially wasn't responding to the power switch, so I switched spots on the surge protector and it turned on.

The next day it happened again, and I had to plug it directly into the wall.

A few days later, it stopped turning on AGAIN, and I got it working by wiring a new power switch to the motherboard. I figured the front panel on my case went bad and ordered another one from Corsair.

The next day, the NEW switch wouldn't turn on the computer. I fiddled with it a bit (So technical) and eventually it turned on.

As of yesterday, nothing worked, and the computer couldn't be turned on at all. Mind you, the motherboard's standby LEDs are all lit, so I don't think the PSU is completely dead, but I'm stumped here. I even tried using a screwdriver to touch the power switch pins (in case it was a faulty switch issue) and nothing happened.

Any ideas what it could be?

The hardware in question: An old ass (but reliable) Corsair HX620 PSU, an ASUS Z77v-lk motherboard, running a slightly OCed (3.8Ghz) i5-3570K, with 16GB of RAM (4x4gb).

If anyone needs any further info, I'll be glad to provide all that I can. Looking to get up and running ASAP, while spending as little money as possible. Funds are low due to holiday shopping. I might stop by Walmart/Best Buy soon to pick up a new PSU to test/return, so see if that's the issue.

Thanks in advance!

You should try shorting the 2 pins on the 24 pin atx connector to see if it reliably turns on or if it has finally died.

How would one go about doing that? I'm definitely up for trying when I go home.

By grounding the green wire on the main ATX connector. Easiest way is to open up a paper clip into a "U" shape. Stick one end into the hole that has the green wire and the other end into a hole that has a black wire (any black wire will work, they all use a common ground).

PSU fan should power on when this happens letting you know the PSU is on.

I am pretty sure your issue is a PSU one though. Sounds like it's finally died a slow death. PSU don't last forever no matter how well they're built.

Thanks for the info, I'll try it as soon as I get home.

Also, this PSU has been a god damned rock for what, 9 years now? Insane quality from Corsair/Seasonic.

You should replace that PSU regardless if it's still working or not.

By the way, any recommendations for replacements? I was thinking about the EVGA G2 650w, seemed like it got a great review on Jonnyguru

By the way, any recommendations for replacements? I was thinking about the EVGA G2 650w, seemed like it got a great review on Jonnyguru

If it was me I'd be buying seasonic or one powered by seasonic. I really want to get one of the snow silent ones.

OK, so... 1 EVGA 650 G2 later, and everything is working great. Thanks for the assistance, guys!

Back