[Troubleshooting] - Help me cool down my 3930k

I have a Corsair 600T, even running the front intake and top exhaust at full RPM, the Antec 920 cooler is struggling. I swapped a pair of SP120 PWM editions on and even on max fan speed it isn't cooling and I hit 91C almost instantly under load.

Current setup here: (Both fans have been replaced with the SP120s not shown in pic)

D5d1Dku.jpg

I was thinking of getting a Fractal Define R5 and a Corsair H110i to mount at the top.
Previously I had a GTX670 that exhausted in the rear, and recently upgraded to the 970 that vents into the case. This also didn't affect temps too much, however I idle at 62C which seems insanely high. Even on stock clocks I idle at 55C. I put new Artic Silver 5 on today along with a new matched pair of fans with no luck, other than that would you guys have any ideas?

Ambient room temp is usually 72F / 22C.

I don't want to hear the fans running 24/7. So if I get the R5, I plan on having many fans all at a very low RPM. The case is on sale for $100, then I need the cooler, and possibly a set of PSU cables. Fun stuff...and expensive...which is why I'm trying to make do with what I have now.

I would start checking if the pump make good contact.. to check this just press with your hand the pump when doing a load task, if the temp drop then check the correct mount of the backplate or if you have to use any O'Ring to close the gap between the pump retainer and the backplate (it force to make a stronger contact)..

Check the pump its running at full speed with the included software and check the liquid temperature..

I know this may be stupid to ask but i happen, so.. have you checked that both fans are pushing in the same direction?.. in your case both fans exhausting from the case for a correct push/pull config..

if you have checked what mentioned above and all is OK you can proceed to improve your case airflow.. First adding a Side panel fan to feed fresh air to the radiator, second remove the upper Hard drive cage to improve the amount of front intake air.. turn off the Top panel to force a positive air pressure inside the case, this force the radiator to suck more air..

I would start checking if the pump make good contact.. to check this just press with your hand the pump when doing a load task, if the temp drop then check the correct mount of the backplate or if you have to use any O'Ring to close the gap between the pump retainer and the backplate (it force to make a stronger contact)..

Check the pump its running at full speed with the included software and check the liquid temperature..

I know this may be stupid to ask but i happen, so.. have you checked that both fans are pushing in the same direction?.. in your case both fans exhausting from the case for a correct push/pull config..

if you have checked what mentioned above and all is OK you can proceed to improve your case airflow.. First adding a Side panel fan to feed fresh air to the radiator, second remove the upper Hard drive cage to improve the amount of front intake air.. turn off the Top panel to force a positive air pressure inside the case, this force the radiator to suck more air..

Pressing on it made zero difference. I may try the o ring idea though, awesome suggestion.

Fans are configured properly. I may remove that cage. I have the front fan configured to spin faster than the top exhaust.

The processor is throttling when under load as well. The biggest problem is I do not want to invest in a new case and cooling setup and still have the same issue.

Thanks for you help so far.

then I think it may be the pump.. check the RPM.. make sure its at full speed..

Good news and bad news,

The front fan in my 600T has never been replaced. I had a spare 200mm Corsair fan from another 600T. I plugged it in and noticed it spun way faster on the same header. I just swapped them out now, and though it is extremely loud when fully ramped up, I'm still sitting at 91C peak, however it took much longer to hit 91, and doesn't throttle near as hard.

I believe the newer case I pulled the fan from is a newer revision as there is no Corsair part number on it, just a Corsair logo decal.

Now I'm wondering about my top fan not moving as much air as it should be and if I could get it replaced would I notice any gain.

did you checked the pump speed with the included software? I think that's the first thing that should be taken into consideration I think your temps are high and the most affecting variable its the pump.. we have to be sure first that the cooler its running optimally before start to troubleshooting the rest of the pc and case..

Along with checking everything else that has already been posted, I suggest you remove both HDD cages, move 3 of the 4 drives up to the empty ODD slots, and leave the last 1 sitting in that empty space behind your PSU, perhaps velcro'd to the case if movement is a concern....

This is one of the 1st things I did with the last 3 rigs I've built and it makes a world of difference in both airflow and case temps. Even with my current rig, in a huge Carbide Air540, it still provides way better airflow than it would have had I left the cages in place.....

good luck :)

Not that anyone may see this, but, I moved the parts into a new 780T, this issue followed. Replaced the 920 Kuhler with an H100i GT and I'm posting this while idling at 39C.

Problem solved.

Thanks

Did you mess with voltages in your bios at all? I noticed that when I set the input voltage (iirc) to manual instead of automatic it would only jump to 60, then slowly climb to 70 (otherwise, it'd jump to 90 like yours). This, with a 4690k OC'd and cooled with an xspc raystorm block/280mm radiator. The raystorm probably isn't seated well, though. (still haven't gotten around to re-seating it)

Last edited:
Back