• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Troubleshooting an RTX 2060

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Oct 17, 2000
Messages
1,875
I've got a Zotac RTX 2060 12GB variant card that is displaying (pun intended) behaviour. Bought the card 2 years ago for my kids PC, Ryzen 5600, Strix B550-A board, and a 600w Thermaltake PSU (Rated White). A few months ago his PC starts crashing; the monitor goes black and need's a complete restart to fix; games crash. I reinstall the latest driver, issue seems to go away, but a week or 2 later it returns. I run Furmark, Heaven, OCCT, 3DMark, all maxed out with zero issues.

I take a RTX 3060 12GB Strix GPU from my other kids PC, toss it into the first PC, and no more issues. Great, it's the GPU, but... 2 kid who now has the RTX 2060 doesn't have issues... for a month. Then his PC (i5 12400, DDR5, Strixt Z690, Thermaltake 600w same White Rating PSU) starts crashing games *only games. Reinstall driver; issue goes away for a week, then comes back.

So before I went out and dropped $$ on a new GPU yesterday, I ran OCCT on both my kids PC's. I made sure to run ALL the max settings I could, and neither PC crashed! And that was a 2 hour test I ran. The RTX 2060 GPU was at 100% load for 2 hours with zero errors, and yet it's randomly crashing games. Furmark noted 150 artifacts on the 2060, but Furmark also noted 300 artifacts on the RTX 3060 so...

I don't get it. What am I missing? You would think if it was a connection issue, power issue, OCCT would have issues on the 2060. Obviously it's a problem GPU on either kids PC, but since they both have the exact same PSU, could that particular PSU model not like the 2060, since 3060 has zero issues in either PC.
 
Last edited:
Increase Core Voltage until it's stable, or decrease Core Clock or Memory until stable. If none of those work, then the card itself may be going bad (or it could be your kid's PSU's). You could always install the card on your system, assuming you have a different PSU than your kid's.
 
Increase Core Voltage until it's stable, or decrease Core Clock or Memory until stable. If none of those work, then the card itself may be going bad (or it could be your kid's PSU's). You could always install the card on your system, assuming you have a different PSU than your kid's.
Yeah I do, I actually have a 850w Seasonic and it's the one thing I haven't tried. The only variable that is the same between both of the kid's PC's is their Thermaltake 600w white rating PSU's. I didn't initially put any weight behind the PSU being the issue since it'll run the RTX 3060 in either system without the issues, but maybe that PSU just doesn't like something about the card.
 
Yeah I do, I actually have a 850w Seasonic and it's the one thing I haven't tried. The only variable that is the same between both of the kid's PC's is their Thermaltake 600w white rating PSU's. I didn't initially put any weight behind the PSU being the issue since it'll run the RTX 3060 in either system without the issues, but maybe that PSU just doesn't like something about the card.

Depends, the RGB model is pretty good. The older non-RGB 600W white unit is quite bad and a lot of complaints about GPU problems come from a quick search. Lifespan seems to be about 1 year before encountering issues. Not saying thats your problem, but it is a common point between the two.
 
Depends, the RGB model is pretty good. The older non-RGB 600W white unit is quite bad and a lot of complaints about GPU problems come from a quick search. Lifespan seems to be about 1 year before encountering issues. Not saying thats your problem, but it is a common point between the two.
Interesting, may just upgrade their PSU’s then since one of them has a slight noise from PSU fan anyways.
 
Depends, the RGB model is pretty good. The older non-RGB 600W white unit is quite bad and a lot of complaints about GPU problems come from a quick search. Lifespan seems to be about 1 year before encountering issues. Not saying thats your problem, but it is a common point between the two.
Picked up 2 Corsair RM650w Gold PSU’s, will drop those in and see how it goes for a week. Thanks for the replies.
 
Back
Top