Trouble With nVidia Networking Controller Drivers

House Julii

Limp Gawd
I recently started playing Eve. Every half hour to hour or so, the Eve Client would shut down, and I would have to start it up and reenter the game. I figured that it was the drivers since I had not updates them in several months. Please note that my computer can easily run Eve and I have had no other problems. Also, restarting my computer seemed to keep the game stable for around 2 hours before it crashed again. I was going to update the drivers later.

My suspicions were confirmed when I tried to put my computer into standby. I have done this hundreds of times before with no problems. However, this time I got an error saying that there was a problem with the nVidia Networking Controller and that it could not go into standby. I tried again and received the same error. I shut down my computer normally. I have only received this error once so far.

I tried looking for the Networking Controller driver on the nVidia website, with no luck. I did find http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_win2k_6.86.html I was not sure if it was correct, but it was the closest match to my system. I have a DFI LanParty motherboard with nForce 4, and an AMD Opteron 175 @ 2.2 Ghz.

So I downloaded and installed the driver. The installer stopped responding, (probably because I was using the internet at the time) so I restarted in safe mode. Tried and successfully reinstalled the driver, and restarted like it told me to.

My computer started up normally, but I could not connect to the internet. The ironic part is that I cannot download new drivers now :rolleyes: I am posting on another computer and I can use a USB drive to transfer files.

My questions are, what exactly did I do my computer, and what drivers do I need for my Networking Controller? Please note that I may now need a new ethernet driver too. I also am willing to reformat my harddrive, since I was going to do that soon anyways.

Cliffs:
-needed to update nVidia Networking Controller driver
-downloaded wrong driver (see link)
-now I have no internet
-need correct driver

Back