Hi, I recently upgraded the graphics and OS for the older system below:

Original PC Specs to be Upgraded:

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366

EVGA 132-BL-E758-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

6 GB of GSKill memory

EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express
2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card x 2 in SLI

128 gb Intel SSD

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 RC-590-KKN1-GP Black SECC / ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC

Vista 64

Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor

I updated the graphics to an EVGA Nvidia 1060, 6gb and the OS to Windows 10 Pro. I had some trouble getting the OS to install, a description of the issue I posted in this thread: https://hardforum.com/threads/trouble-booting-after-new-gfx-install.1966980/

In a nutshell, with the new graphics card in the PC, the computer would post, but restart just before the windows installation and after I got windows 10 to install with my old graphics card. I put the new card back in, the PC would post, but restart just before windows would load. And this boot loop would just keep going.

Well, I finally got the PC to boot to windows 10 with the new graphics card after I removed 2 of the 3 memory modules just leaving one in.

I tested each module in the first slot by itself, and the PC would load. The PC would also load with a memory module in any of the 3 memory slots. I even tried 2 modules in different slot configurations, but it still would not load. It will only load with one.

Mind you, the PC would load just fine with the old graphics card and all the memory modules installed.

Anyone have any ideas why the new graphics card will only work with one memory module? Should I buy 3 new sticks of memory? Or is this a mother board issue?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

does that card even work?

like when you boot in to windows can you actually play a game or anything or does the display driver crash or pc restart or anything?

kinda sounds like when the display driver loads the pc crashes.

Have you tried / are you running the latest bios for that board? If you load up cpuz you could check against the EVGA download page. There might be some weird uefi issue or something with the 1060 going on. How did you install win 10, if it was a usb drive there are 2 options to setup the installer uefi and legacy, might help might not to try and build the one you did not use. There might also be something in the bios for secure boot or legacy mode. Another idea might be to update the firmware on your card you could check gpuz and https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...&version=&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since= to see if you have any options on upgrades.

As far as the new card with only one memory stick, have you tried moving the gpu to other x16 pcie slots? I would make the assumption that the above is the root cause for this, but still strange.

This is of course assuming your GPU is good.

Thanks for the replies.

I think the gfx card is working. With the 1 stick of memory (2gb) and the new graphics card, my kids started playing Fortnite, It worked and they played one game; however, during the second game it crashed and the error message was something to the effect of "not enough graphics card memory available" which I thought was strange as i'm sure the new gfx card is more than enough to play fortnite. I just attributed it to having only 2 gb of system memory.

Additionally, for general use such as youtube, installing gfx drivers, posting on these forums, the pc seems to be running fine.

The newest BIOS for this board is from 2011, I did not update the BIOS, but at one point in trying to troubleshoot booting with the new gfx card, I did pull the CMOS battery and reset it.

To install the new OS I used a dvd with a Windows 10 ISO on it.

Using gpu-z and the website provided, my cards BIOS version is up-to-date.

I'll try and put the gfx card in one of the other 2 PCI-E slots and see what happens with more than one stick of memory.

Any other suggestions?

I may buy 3 new sticks of memory to see what happens. I was due for a memory upgrade anyway.

Thanks again.

Worst case you could always get 1 8gb stick of ddr3, which in most cases is good for gaming. You would loose out on the benefits of tripple channel memory though. If you have a local store with a return policy and time I would say you could try new sticks, then default to one.

I do vaguely remember having similar memory issues with an ASRock x58 board getting triple channel to work. I think in my case it was 1.65v and the memory profiles not being picked up correctly, and playing with manual settings. However sounds a little different than your issue as you had it functional before the GPU swap.

I have not looked in-depth at you specific board but is there an additional power connector to give the pcie bus power? Might be the card trying to pull too much juice (75w) from there and freaking out the x58 chipset but just a wild guess.

Regardless good luck

As suggested already, I would update the BIOS on that old mobo.
That mobo being 8 years old or so may not support the new GPU properly.

I don't see this being a memory issue.

Solved-

Thanks all for the help. BIOS update and now everything is working.

Thanks again

Glad to hear you got it working. I have a great 1080 sitting next to my desktop waiting to be installed I have run a 1070 in it without issues hopefully it will be the same for the 1080. Good luck with the upgraded system, to stretch that system you should look at Xeons of that vintage. Add a couple cores!

Back