Trouble with Linux firewalls

gta95

Limp Gawd
Everything installs great and seems to run alright, but I have two problems. One, I can never tell the difference between the RED and GREEN interfaces, and two, the internet does not come back up after the install is done and I get lucky enough to be able to figure out which adapter is which. Any tips?

Using different NICs can make it easier for you, such as a 3COM and an Intel.

Ultimately you have the MAC of each NIC to be able to tell which is which in the web admin, perhaps jot down the last couple of characters on the outside of each NIC with a magic marker.

As for the internet coming back up..that's a matter of setting up the correct WAN connectoin type, and ...if you have cable....usually powering off your modem for a few minutes so it forgets the MAC of the device previously connected to it.

I have a 4 port Adaptec NIC that I picked up on Ebay a while back and the only way that I could determine which port was assigned to what interface was to hook my laptop to the machine and assign an IP address to my laptop, then plug it into the card and try and ping the interface... Once I got a replay I know what port it was. I don't know if this holds true for all installs, but on mine it detected the onboard LAN as "eth0" then it goes to my adaptec card from top to bottom "eth1" - "eth4".

Hope this helps.

Depends on the linux flavor. My best guess is you need these two things however;

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE

Granted, these two commands simply set your box up to act as a router; It offers virtually no protection, so you'll want to research that.

You could unplug one of the cables, and ping and red and green addresses. Whichever one you get a response from you know. The other is the other one.

DistributedBen said:
You could unplug one of the cables, and ping and red and green addresses. Whichever one you get a response from you know. The other is the other one.

I have noticed with some distros....if you power up without a live connection..sometimes the NIC will not become enabled. So moving from NIC to NIC with pings doesn't always do the trick. If doing trial and error...must have cable plugged into interface..then power up the router.

YeOldeStonecat said:
Using different NICs can make it easier for you, such as a 3COM and an Intel.

Ultimately you have the MAC of each NIC to be able to tell which is which in the web admin, perhaps jot down the last couple of characters on the outside of each NIC with a magic marker.

As for the internet coming back up..that's a matter of setting up the correct WAN connectoin type, and ...if you have cable....usually powering off your modem for a few minutes so it forgets the MAC of the device previously connected to it.

I do have two different NICs I can put it (Netgear + SMC), but I'm not sure if the SMC would be detected by CC or IPCOP

Well...what's it take...under 15 minutes to do a fresh install? Never know til ya try. Just remember to keep powering off your cable modem when switching NICs.

Back