• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Trouble with installing KDE on Gentoo.

Schalldämpfer

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 28, 2004
Messages
217
So, I'm in Grub after a networkless install, but when I try to install KDE from the package, the system tries to connect to the Internet. What should I do? And what more can I say to clarify the situation? Thanks in advance.
 
concidering you have only waited 50min!!!
what do you expect ppl to drop everything and answer your problems the moment you post them!!

The thing with Gentoo is, it is a internet distro (like quite a few) thus it will try to d/l teh source for what you want to emerge. Eitehr sort out your network connection to get access or use the package CD and copy the relevant files to /usr/portage/distfiles
 
i must say... you really need to pick the right forum when you post. we have a Linux/BSD subforum. occasionally some of the *nix guru's ignore the main os forum.

to fix the problem you will need to connect to the internet.

if you are having trouble configuring your network connection, but had no problems with the live cd, you will likely need to recompile the kernel with the proper modules enabled.

if you are too antsy in the pantsy about getting kde compiled, you can boot from the live cd, and then follow the steps to chroot into the environment you have already created (like you did here- the difference is you will mount to the root drive you have already created). after you chroot, you should be able to merge kde, but you'll eventually need to address the network issue.
 
sorry you're not happy with our response times. Below you will find a refund of double the price you paid for our service.

...
 
Haha. Well, thanks for that warm welcome to the forum. I was just expecting the same kind of response time I got on other forums. As to getting an Internet connection to this computer in questoin, it's a far-fetched possibility. That being the case, I resorted to downloading all the files I need, writing them to a CD-R and then manually copying the files to their repsective folders. Which brings me to my next question: I am currently at the point of emerging KDE, but the system goes online for few files such as x11-free-(something).tar.bz and qt-3.3.4.tar.bz, so I was wondering if anyone had the list of files required to emerge KDE successfully. Please keep in mind, I'm a complete newb. I'm just happy that I made it this far in the installation process.
 
Thank you for the link, doh, but I've already checked it out and to the best of my knowledge, I couldn't find what I was looking for.
 
so I was wondering if anyone had the list of files required to emerge KDE successfully.

This will list all the packages that emerge wants:
Code:
emerge --pretend kde

Thank you for the link, doh, but I've already checked it out and to the best of my knowledge, I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I believe he was suggesting to post your question there. You'll get responce times closer to what you're used on the topic of Gentoo. The [H]ardForum focuses more on hardware than software, and only a small percentage are even remotely Linux gurus.
 
Thank you for the reply, tom. I should find it really helpful. One more question, though: how do you make the list of packages display page by page? I remember the DOS command for this was /p or something like it. What's the Linux counterpart of it?
 
Schalldämpfer said:
Thank you for the reply, tom. I should find it really helpful. One more question, though: how do you make the list of packages display page by page? I remember the DOS command for this was /p or something like it. What's the Linux counterpart of it?

To make anything that outputs text page, you pipe it through less, like this:

emerge --pretend kde | less
 
Do you know how many tarballs you will need to download individually to install kde in gentoo? Not to mentiona ll the patchs gentoo applies? A lot. If you can't get an internet connection for the box then I would really suggest getting a binary distro.
 
Schalldämpfer said:
Haha. Well, thanks for that warm welcome to the forum. I was just expecting the same kind of response time I got on other forums. As to getting an Internet connection to this computer in questoin, it's a far-fetched possibility. That being the case, I resorted to downloading all the files I need, writing them to a CD-R and then manually copying the files to their repsective folders. Which brings me to my next question: I am currently at the point of emerging KDE, but the system goes online for few files such as x11-free-(something).tar.bz and qt-3.3.4.tar.bz, so I was wondering if anyone had the list of files required to emerge KDE successfully. Please keep in mind, I'm a complete newb. I'm just happy that I made it this far in the installation process.

You should seriouesly consider downloading the Gentoo GRP releases, but if you want you can edit in /etc/make.conf FETCHCOMMAND to something like:

Code:
FETCHCOMMAND="/bin/echo ${FILE} >> /tmp/downloadlist.txt"
and use the command:
Code:
emerge -f kde

Inspect /tmp/downloadlist.txt which should contain a list of all the URLs to download. Note that you will need to change the FETCHCOMMAND back to its default (or comment it out) to proceed.
 
Back
Top