Trouble with GeForce 6800 GT.

Enorcrove

n00b
I recently purchased a brand new system: Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 2GBs of ram, ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard, and an EVGA GeForce 6800 GT (256mb). I've had NON-STOP problems with the graphics card. GTA Vice City and LOTR: Return of the King run at DOUBLE SPEED, while at the same time having low framerate problems. Deus Ex: Invisible war had constant crashes to the desktop and odd "skips" forward in character movement. The Suffering: Ties the Bind, although the newest of these, has recommended requirments that are MORE than met by this graphic card, yet the frame rate goes down ridiculously low in random situations, whether it's in the heat of battle or just turning the character's direction in a room. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of what could be going on. I don't know a ton about computers, and no one that I know that does has been able to give me any answers. Thank you, very much.

ALSO: I just ran 3Dmark05 (free version) and got these test results:

3DMark Score - 5002
CPU Score - 5054

Game Tests
GT1 - Return To Proxycon 22.6 fps
GT2 - Firefly Forest 14.3 fps
GT3 - Canyon Flight 24.8 fps

CPU Tests
CPU Test 1 - 2.4 fps
CPU Test 2 - 4.8 fps

Looks suspicious to me, but again...I'm not sure what I really know. Hopefully I'll run into someone with the same setup...

As far as I know, everything is updated. I just got the updates for the graphics card...less than 2 weeks ago I believe.

But what version? Did you go to Nvidia's website and download the 81.85 drivers yet?

I'm sorry, I should've known to post that. Yes, I'm running 8.1.8.5. (thanks for the replies too)

I had a similar problem after I upgraded my video card to a 6800nu. I updated the bios on my motherboard and that seemed to fix it. So, make sure your bios is up to date. Make sure you installed the chipset drivers for your motherboard as well.

Also, I used the drivers from Evga instead of the standard ones from Nvidia. I'm not sure if it helped at all but it certainly cant hurt since theyre both the same version 81.85.

I updated the video card drivers to the EVGA version and that seemed to fix some of the problems. I'm still monitoring it though. I still have 11 months to request an RMA if it turns out to be screwy. I was mainly worried about compatibility with my system (dual core) or if the card just wasn't good enough for the games I'm playing, which I didn't think seemed right. Thanks for the help. Hopefully it'll do.

Back