Trouble with Eyefinity

I have 3 monitors. A Samsung 24" in the middle, and 2 ASUS 24" on each side of that.
I am running 2 AMD 6850's.

I can't get the 3rd monitor (on the left) join a Eyefinity group. The Catalyst software is recognizing only 2. The left monitor is grayed out, even though it is fully usable in Windows 8.

I have the middle and right hooked up DVI to the top 6870 card, and the left is hooked up to the bottom card DVI.

I also had to disable Xfire to get the 3rd monitor to have a signal.

Any ideas?

All monitors in an Eyefinity group must be plugged into the primary GPU.

I have tried running the 3rd monitor on the primary via HDMI. It won't recognize in Windows as a desktop to extend to.

Does it have to be mini Display Port connected?

That's because a 6870 has only 2 RAMDACs. To get 3 monitors working you have to plug one into a DisplayPort plug on the primary GPU. If your 6870's don't have DisplayPort you are SOL.

That's because a 6870 has only 2 RAMDACs. To get 3 monitors working you have to plug one into a DisplayPort plug on the primary GPU. If your 6870's don't have DisplayPort you are SOL.

Correct, you can run straight dp, or an active dp to dvi adapter. His 6850 should have at least one dp or a mini dp on it.

I have received my HDMI to mDP adapter and I am still having the same issue.

My middle and right monitor work (both on DVI on card 1), but I cant' get the left monitor to show as active to extend the desktop to (HDMI to mDP adapter on card 1).

I have received my HDMI to mDP adapter and I am still having the same issue.

My middle and right monitor work (both on DVI on card 1), but I cant' get the left monitor to show as active to extend the desktop to (HDMI to mDP adapter on card 1).

What specific adapter did you get?

Eyefinity is very picky about what adapters it works on. Unless you bought one which is known to work, it could be an adapter that doesn't work.

I purchased this adapter.

http://www.firefold.com/mini-dp-hdmi

After fiddling a little bit, I can get the left monitor and 1 other to come up. When I try to select the 3rd monitor in Windows Display Properties, it says "The display settings could not be saved. Please try a different combination of display settings"
So, 2 of the 3 monitors do work, just not all at once, off of card 1.

That's a passive adapter. A passive adapter needs the clock signal from a RAMDAC. If none of your monitors support DisplayPort you'll need an active adapter. The active adapter has its own clock generator so it doesn't use up one of the RAMDACs.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My adapter arrived today. I purchased the XFX mDP to DVI cable. I made sure it was an active adapter.

Works!
have the left and right DVI connected, and I have the center main connected via the adapter. Yes, I was able to join all 3 into a group.

Here is what I have noticed. It's not like when you just add a second screen. All 3 monitors span the task bar.

I tried to just drag it, but I want the center to only have the tb, can this be done now that it is grouped?

I don't think so but you can make the middle monitor your primary in ccc i believe so your start button and task bar apps, also your desktop icons show up there. Been a while since I did eyefinity so don't quote me on that.

It can be changed - it is a setting in CCC that you can turn on and off taskbar spanning. I'm not at my workstation at the moment so I don't remember the exact setting but it is definitely in there, you don't have to install Hydravision to control it.

rtangwai, you were right. I found that feature in the CCC. I feel much better now!

Now since I had to disable crossfire on the second card to make that 3rd display work before I upgraded, if I enable crossfire again, will I break my current settings?

I always ran mine with the two monitors on the side as extended, and the middle monitor as the primary. The taskbar will only be in the middle monitor, and you can snap programs to the side/full size things. I never tried it with turning the taskbar spanning off though.

Use profiles so you can switch back and forth between different monitor setups like, the extended on the sides, only a single monitor in the middle with the others disabled (some games that don't work with eyefinity don't like monitors on the side ie Age of Empires), and Eyefinity mode.

I run in extended mode 99% of the time. If you set up extended as you like, then set up your Eyefinity, you can toggle easily using Wiindows Key - P. Just select Duplicate for Eyefinity, and Extended for extended. Should go back the same each time.

Enabling Crossfire doesn't "break" the settings exactly. Crossfire is a separate profile from non-Crossfire so you have to set up everything again, but once that's done you'll be fine.

Back