Trouble with Dual booting XP and Vista after upgrade.

whittech

Weaksauce
hello everyone

have a question about my system
here is what is up
i had windows xp pro installed on an 80 gig hard drive, and i had 2 400gig SATA drives in as well. I installed vista on one of the sata drives, and when I would boot up the computer it would ask, Vista or Earlier version.

the other day i had to pull the 80 gig drive out, because i was replacing it with a 250 gig.
I was first using Acronis True Image to clone the disk and make it bootable, but i was running into issues, so i did a clean install of xp and imported what i needed
Now, It just boots straight to XP. I tried running the vista disc, and clicking REPAIR, hoping it would add it to the boot list
I check the boot.ini in XP and it doesnt show vista in there

my question is, how do i add vista to the boot list again?
thanks!

You broke your bootloader when you re-installed XP. Try using VistaBootPro, I believe there is a utility there that will repair the Vista bootloader and you should be fine.

tried vistabootloader, no success. it shows that there is vista on the machine, but i dont get any options to dual boot.
what do i do?

I don't know if this will work or not, but you could try a repair on your Vista install and see if that fixes the Vista bootlaoder..... like I said though, I don't know if that will work or not...

yeah, tried that twice already
says it repairs something
but nothing changes?

Um.. oh yeah, after rereading your OP, I see you have tried that.. sorry. Apparently there is a way to repair the Vista bootloader, but I don't know what that method is exactly....Reinstalling Vista is the only other option I can think of.. hopefully someone else can help..

when i revert back to my original hdd that had XP on it, it dual boots just fine. so that tells me some file somewhere on that drive has the information i need on my new drive

is this possible? is there a file i can copy over to my new disk to get it working?

one other thing
my vista drive is drive E in windows xp
when in vista it is C...
when I repair vista, it says it is on drive D, which it isnt, D is a separate partition on my xp disk.

It's normal for Vista to tell you it's on C:, even when you installed it on E:... the running OS will always tell you it's C: I think there is a possibility that something went wrong during your repair installs, and that might explain why it's now saying it's on D:

I think at this point your best bet might just be to start over. Just backup your data to your storage drive and reinstall XP, and then Vista.

Back