Trouble with dual boot installation

peacetilence

2[H]4U
I have 3 hard drives. My main hard drive, up until I installed vista, was a 60gb IDE drive (drive C). I have a slave drive attached to it (drive D). I partitioned a Sata drive (drive F:, apologizes if I'm making this more confusing than it should be. I'm highly sleep deprived at the moment) and installed vista using a dual boot configuration. I recently discovered that the IDE drive with XP on it is dying and causing data corruption and instability in games (one of the only reasons I'm keeping it around.)

What I want to do is to remove the XP drive and replace it with a new sata drive and keep my vista/xp dual boot configuration and have Vista be the main OS. The problem is though, that when I remove the IDE c: the bootup screen tells me theres a disk error. I changed the priority so that the sata drive is on top but it still won't boot into vista properly. I'm not sure how to go about getting my pc to recognize the sata drive as the main boot drive.

Also assuming I can somehow correct this issue (hopefully without a reformat) how would I then install XP again so that I can have dual boot?

You could try a program such as Acronis True Image. I think you can buy as a d/l from Newegg.

At least I bought some it time ago (v9) that way and used it to mirror my XP install. The one thing I am not sure of is reinstalling the image to a different HD.

You might check the Acronis website to see if that is feasible.

Back