Trouble W/ My Netgear Wpn824 wireless router

Hi, first time poster here. I just got this wireless router, the WPN824, last week.

I had an issue with my laptop's DVD/CD-RW drive not wanting to read the disk that came with it, but I eventually got it to work. Everything works normally, except it seems to reboot itself every so often...roughly once an hour. Or at least that's what I think it's doing, the software console that came with the WPN511 notebook adapter shows the signal strength drop to zero and my access point disappears. It pops back up a minute or 2 later, but it's extemely annoying since I lose my IP when this happens. The entire process knocks me offline for 5+ minutes.

I've read about 2.4gz wireless phones interfering with that router on the original firmware, so I upgraded to the latest firmware. It didn't seem to help.

My laptop does run rather hot, so I'm curious if maybe I'm cooking the notebook adapter and there's nothing wrong with the router (the main exhaust vent is right next to the card). This is the first time I've tried wireless with it, so I'm not sure what to expect. It's either that or what I'm doing on the laptop, which isn't much at the moment. Basically just web, IM, and P2P (w/ the appropriate ports already forwarding).

-------------------------

I posted this on another forum, and they had a couple suggestions, namely make sure the WZC service in Windows XP was shut off, and make sure the router's DHCP server wasn't causing conflicts. WZC was indeed off, and I completely disabled DHCP on the router, but I'm still getting dropped. Any other suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

Back