I just bought a ASUS P8P67 Deluxe mother board (b3). I also got an OEM Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB.
This is pretty much a new build I'm doing. I got all the parts assembled but the motherboard doesn't detect the hard drive.
I dug around online and after ruling out posts from before 2008 one comment I found mentioned not using the [marvell?] ports (the bright blue ones) so I've made sure not to use them, I also tried disabling that controller but no luck. I tried swapping out cables, switching SATA ports, etc.
From what I've read jumper settings should be a non issue (my drive didn't come with any, though there are 4 pins visible I can't figure out what they are for, assume it doesn't matter)
I have a SATA dvd drive that will boot my windows 7 disk, though I didn't see the dvd drive listed in bios anywhere. When I let the windows install process go I can't get past the point where I am asked to choose a location/volume to instal on (it can't find any).
Its an OEM drive, which if I'd thought about it before placing my order I would have passed on. I don't have any other SATA drives or SATA motherboards I can troubleshoot with. I'm tempted to go out to bestbuy (its closer than where i bought my original drive) and pick up something just to see if its a hard drive issue or not, but would rather not.
I haven't checked for BIOS updates for the motherboard yet, I'll look into that but don't have time to right now. Looking for other options if that fails.
Am I missing anything obvious? I haven't had issues getting a hard drive to detect since the mid-90s so I hope I'm not doing something dense here...
This is pretty much a new build I'm doing. I got all the parts assembled but the motherboard doesn't detect the hard drive.
I dug around online and after ruling out posts from before 2008 one comment I found mentioned not using the [marvell?] ports (the bright blue ones) so I've made sure not to use them, I also tried disabling that controller but no luck. I tried swapping out cables, switching SATA ports, etc.
From what I've read jumper settings should be a non issue (my drive didn't come with any, though there are 4 pins visible I can't figure out what they are for, assume it doesn't matter)
I have a SATA dvd drive that will boot my windows 7 disk, though I didn't see the dvd drive listed in bios anywhere. When I let the windows install process go I can't get past the point where I am asked to choose a location/volume to instal on (it can't find any).
Its an OEM drive, which if I'd thought about it before placing my order I would have passed on. I don't have any other SATA drives or SATA motherboards I can troubleshoot with. I'm tempted to go out to bestbuy (its closer than where i bought my original drive) and pick up something just to see if its a hard drive issue or not, but would rather not.
I haven't checked for BIOS updates for the motherboard yet, I'll look into that but don't have time to right now. Looking for other options if that fails.
Am I missing anything obvious? I haven't had issues getting a hard drive to detect since the mid-90s so I hope I'm not doing something dense here...