Trouble shooting a HP

Taffy Apple

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

I'm trying to get to the bottom of a problem I'm having with a HP and I'm wondering if you can help.

Basically the box doesn't appear to be posting. I've had it beep previously when I took the RAM out, and it told me once that I didn't have a harddrive attached.

But since it doesn't do anything, just sits there with the fans spinning. Does that sound like a dead mobo to anyone else?

Cheers

Which specific model do you have?

Have you tried any of the troubleshooting steps listed in the GenHard FAQ?

Its a HP Pavillion a708 or something like that anyway.

I've tried what I can, the computers not posting remember. There's not a lot that I can do except check connection etc...

Have you attempted running the motherboard (with only the processor and one stick of RAM) from outside of the case?

If that doesn't work, then I guess you may have a dead board.

Try to find the "Clear CMOS" jumper on the motherboard and use it, or remove the backup battery for a while then try again.

I have already tried clearing the cmos by taking the battery out - No joy there!

I've tried booting with nothing attached to the mobo, just cpu - No joy there either. So I'm pretty sure its not one of the other components.

The guy I'm looking at it for said, it started acting funny so he turned it off - guess I should have asked him funny how.

I've tried booting with nothing attached to the mobo, just cpu - No joy there either. So I'm pretty sure its not one of the other components.

no joy? does that mean no beeps? make sure you have a system speaker hooked up.

I would hope during that time you did have RAM in as well. Is this a problem that just started happening? Have you (or can you) test the components one at a time in a known working machine?

Yes there have been no beeps. When I first powered the box up, I took the RAM out and it gave me a pretty long loud beep. But after that I've had no beeps at all when the RAM's been out.

I've tested each stick on their own, but still the mobo doesn't post.

Back