Trouble setting up Hyper-V network

Enlefo

Limp Gawd
Hi so I am fairly new to Hyper-V and trying to setup a Windows 7 virtual box as a simple data transfer station on a new windows 2008 R2 SP1 Dell server I just setup.

I cannot for the life of me get the virtual box to connect to the network.

I have searched a great deal on this issue and all I keep finding is A: Articles/questions with explanations of how the virtual switch works. and B: Articles/questions related to much more complex situations then what I am dealing with.

Host machine has 2 dual port Broadcom NIC's, 1 onboard, 1 add in. Joined to a domain. All ports are able to flow data just fine from the host box if not joined to virtual network. They were originally both setup as teams. I read a couple things about Hyper-V not working with Broadcom teams. This was supposedly fixed in the drivers over a year ago but I tried separating one of the teams and using those NIC's instead but same result. If I leave things up to DHCP the virtual box gets a bogus auto config address (169.254.X.X) and if I dial in an IP manually is still does not connect.
NIC's support VLAN tagging and I've tried turning that on and off. Tried disabling access to the virtual network from the host machine. I've recreated the virtual network and rebooted both machines many times. I cannot find any configuration for the virtual switch and as far as I understand there is no config.

End result, both the created virtual NIC's on the host box and the VM do not have any network or internet access no matter what I do. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Disabled VLAN's on all NIC's and now network is flowing data to the VM. Machine still won't join the domain even though it can ping DC by IP and netbios name.

How are you creating your virtual switches? External vs internal, etc.

How are you creating your virtual switches? External vs internal, etc.

They are external. Have tried creating legacy switch too. Queries for domain credentials but then gets the "network location cannot be reached" error.

Spent a couple hours with my coworker on this yesterday. Tried running a bunch of netsh and nbtstat commands to reset the network adapters. Still on the same error when trying to join the domain. Very odd.

Check your DNS servers. 9 times out of 10 - if you can connect to the network but can't join a domain, you DNS server is set incorrectly. This is an easy thing to overlook, especially if you're setting a static IP. Also, check event viewer, there should be some more detailed messages in there.

Thoughts?

Back