Trouble playing .mkv files, very weird.

Le037

Limp Gawd
Hi. I started to download some .mkv videos and as soon as I got the first one I opened it with VLC media player and it worked just fine. So I closed it and went to do something else. When I got back I tried to open the same file again and this time VLC would open but the video wouldn't even start. I tried downloading codecs and the latest version of VLC but nothing helped. After dinner I tried opening the file again and this time it worked, and it still works if I close and reopen the file, but it doesn't work on the other videos! VLC just opens and stays blank. DivX and WMP straight up tell me they can't run the file. Any ideas?

Hi. I started to download some .mkv videos and as soon as I got the first one I opened it with VLC media player and it worked just fine. So I closed it and went to do something else. When I got back I tried to open the same file again and this time VLC would open but the video wouldn't even start. I tried downloading codecs and the latest version of VLC but nothing helped. After dinner I tried opening the file again and this time it worked, and it still works if I close and reopen the file, but it doesn't work on the other videos! VLC just opens and stays blank. DivX and WMP straight up tell me they can't run the file. Any ideas?

Well first I should tell you.. Installing codecs doesn't do anything on VLC as it uses its own. Have you tried playing it in MPC-HC? Also FFDshow Tryouts is a good decoder for like everything.

Thanks a lot man I just tried MPC-HC and it seems to be working.

Ya, VLC is a jack of all traders, master of none, i think it is crap personally

MPC-HT edition with FFDShow or CoreAVC and your set, also since windows 7 if you got that plays almost any other file format.

Yeah I use vista though :( Btw, I manged to play a couple .mkvs with MPC-HC but the next one i opened was just the sound, no video. Any ideas?

Download MediaInfo, use MediaInfo to generate a text summary of the file in question and post it here. An MKV container can contain any number of different video and audio formats.

^ so very true, pending on where you get your sources from, they may not be following certain "standards"

Download MediaInfo, use MediaInfo to generate a text summary of the file in question and post it here. An MKV container can contain any number of different video and audio formats.

This can also be achieved through MPC OP. Right click the video frame window when the video is open.. Right Click + Properties + MediaInfo Tab. This way you dont have to download something else.

I use MPC-HT with ffdshow tryouts as well. Works like a treat. Got rid of CCCP.

Doesn't GSpot read MKVs too? Can't remember whether I used it for that as well.

Ya, VLC is a jack of all traders, master of none, i think it is crap personally

MPC-HT edition with FFDShow or CoreAVC and your set, also since windows 7 if you got that plays almost any other file format.

Why do you think it's crap?

Can someone give me an idea on how to use mediainfo? I downloaded and installed it and all I got is a .dll file. I'm having trouble finding out how to use it.

Why do you think it's crap?

When i used to use it, it would always freeze when fast forwarding or skipping to scene's, it would not play video's on my 2nd monitor while i gamed on my other one, there are better quality codecs out there then the ones included.

Back