Trouble Overclocking XFX Double D 7950

theNoid

Supreme [H]ardness
I seem to be running into all sorts of issues trying to overclock this card. I believe its possible that it may be voltage locked, no confirmation. However, I am able to get some stable OC @ ~1020/1400 but when I run any bechmark I get much worst performance than I do w/o the OC.

To me this feels like throttling, so I first went into Afterburner and increased the power +20%. This seemed to help and my results were about the same as no overclock instead of drastically lower. Thing is, stable like this.. my OC results near identical as stock (which is already OC @ 900/1250). So.. up the voltage right? I can't. In Afterburner its locked/greyed out. In Trixx is there, but I dont think its working correctly. I feel a glass ceiling anytime I attempt to OC higher than the 1020/1400. The problem is, at that OC my benchmarks show 0 performance increases so I'm trying to push a bit further to see what kind of legs this card has.

Any advice? Anyone had this card or luck getting around the barriers? If 1020/1400 is good, then why no performance increases? Never seen that in all my years.

edit. Temps ..

Single monitor
--Idle : ~45c
--Load : 70-75c

2 monitors
--Idle : 60c
--Load : 75c

Last edited:
Watch voltage in gpuz under sensors. If it doesn't increase when u increase voltage with trixx (under load) then its probably locked. Which sucks.

So if its locked, what are my options? Can I still squeeze a bit for OC or should I try to return the card to Amazon? Can I do that? I heard Amazon has a great return policy, if I tell them the card isn't what I wanted could I get a refund and get another card?

edit. Or ... should I try to see if I can find a good balance between 900-1000 on the core with increased performance? I still cannot understand why when at 1050 instead of 900 I get the same results?

Last edited:
If the voltage is indeed locked, you can push upto max stable clocks for that voltage - either test to determine the clocks or ask others with the same model.

Are you able to monitor clocks and voltages? Use Afterburner for OSD and use GPU-Z to log parameters to a file.

I'll run some more tests tonight and use OSD to track real time stats.

I'm still not having any luck with this card. I cannot get it to OC more than 950 now w/o being unstable. Temps are 60-70c now but I can't put a finger on it. Card appears voltage locked too ... GPU-Z showing no differences when I change voltage settings in Trixx.

I'm thinking of returning the card for another. The question is, whats the best card right now for ~$250-300? Probably another 7950 I'd imagine but which are unlocked? Sapphires? Any others?

I just got this exact card from the deal recently. I have it crossfire'd with my sapphire dualx. Both are oc'd to 1050/1330, no voltage changes. Ran a few benchmarks and been playing games for a few days now. I haven't encountered any issues yet. Max temps go up to 80 C. OC'ing isn't guaranteed, maybe you have a card that isn't good for overclocking.

I found my stable setting after hours of testing. Pretty much stuck at 990/1300. I can live with this since the card stock is 800 at the core. Tomb Raider is running 60fps with only TressFx disabled and it looks great.

Going to run some more tests but I think this card just doesn't want to go above 990 and not crap out. I am pleased with my latest results so far. Thanks for your input as well.

Go ahead and return it if you aren't satisfied with it. Amazon just makes you pay for the return shipping if there's nothing wrong with it. I got a dog of an overclocker too with the MSI single fan 7950. But at least it allows voltage bump so I can get 1090/1400 out of it.

I wouldn't live with that. Boost card (the new stock clock) are 925 core. Your costing yourself a good 10% performance. I'd say 1150 core is an avg for non ref card. This can be done with safe temps around 1.15-1.2v on most cards. Return that sucker and grab an MSI twin frozr with unlocked voltage. If its voltage locked that means its xfx PCB, I'd take the twin frozr with reference 7970 PCB anyday. Even if it cost $50 more I'd still do it and I'm pretty sure its cheaper.

Edit: http://www.amazon.com/MSI-R7950-TWI...=UTF8&qid=1377794858&sr=8-1&keywords=msi+7950
$1 more than the xfx, there's no questioning that lol. Boost edition is only $15 more.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Awesome advice, thank you. I was looking at that card yesterday. I had submitted a refund with Amazon yesterday, and was contacted by the seller today.. free shipping back. I think I'm going to return it for the MSI. I tend to want to extend the performance of my cards by OC'ing them and I feel terrible that my XFX sucks in that regard.

So back to Amazon it goes, going to get the MSI.

Awesome advice, thank you. I was looking at that card yesterday. I had submitted a refund with Amazon yesterday, and was contacted by the seller today.. free shipping back. I think I'm going to return it for the MSI. I tend to want to extend the performance of my cards by OC'ing them and I feel terrible that my XFX sucks in that regard.

So back to Amazon it goes, going to get the MSI.

Good call. I think you'll be a lot happier with that card. I would be.

Back