Trouble is ARC, Samsung Smart TV and Yamaha Receiver

Daemas

Gawd
My dad recently purchased a Samsung UN46ES6100 and Yamaha RX-V473. The receiver works great when playing audio/video via the cable box. But when he wants to watch videos on YouTube/use the smart function of the TV, We are unable to get any sound. Am I correct in thinking that the receiver should be playing TV Video/Audio in PIP while selecting my app. Then when I load the YouTube app and play a video. The cable audio stops and the smart TV audio starts?

Both machines have the most recent firmware and software (in the case of the TV)

Here's how it's all hooked up

Cable Box > HDMI Input 1 > RX-V473
_________________________________> HDMI Output (ARC Enabled connection) >> Samsung UN46ES6100 HDMI 2 (ARC connection)
DVD Player > HDMI Input 2 > RX-V473

So I have the cables in the right places, HDMI 1.4 cables (ARC is HDMI 1.4 spec), AFAIK All the pertinent ARC Options enabled on both the TV and AVR. The only one that I don't understand is the Receiver HDMI Options. HDMI Control is on... The only audio sources available under ARC is Audio 1 (analog), and AV1-6 (various analog/digital). Yamaha says AV4 is the input used for ARC, but there's only one coax and one Optical SPIDF, No HDMI input? I wondered if just setting it to AV4 told the receiver to look for the HDMI audio, no dice.

Why is any of this shit even an option? ARC is an HDMI standard/spec, ARC means nothing for Optical/SPIDF connections.

The Samsung website says to enable AnyConnect+ (which is an HDMI-CEC solution), but since my receiver isn't a Samsung, it doesn't find it. (GJ Samsung, only telling people how to connect to other Samsung stuff. Too bad you make shit audio products)

Am I just going to have to use an optical cable to go from the TV to the AVR? The TV and Receiver must be able to do it like I'm trying to do or else the outlets wouldn't be named how they are.

My dad is pissed and I'm trying to pull my hair out. If anybody had any advice/solutions/previous experience, it would be much appreciated.

Have you tried using hdmi 1 on the tv? ARC

HDMI 1 on TV is (DVI). Video only
DVD Hdmi 1 on yamaha and cbl box hdmi 2 on yamaha. TV input hdmi 1
HDMI 1 on TV is (DVI). Video only

HDMI control set to ON on both TV and Yamaha

They are (AFAIK)

Doesn't fix issue

I wondered if just setting it to AV4 told the receiver to look for the HDMI audio, no dice.

Last edited:
On the yamaha did you turn ON (ARC) it is a seperate setting than hdmi control.

When you adjust the volume on the receiver, do you get the tv's volume overlay on screen? Or does the tv volume control work for the receiver?

If HDMI-CEC is working, both should be true.

Back