Trouble installing XP on a brand new system...

HC77

Weaksauce
Hi,
I just built a new A64 rig w/ the following specs:

A64 3500+
ASUS A8V Motherboard
1GB CORSAIR TWINX RAM
ATI AIW 9800 PRO
AUDIGY 2 ZS PLATINUM PRO
PLEXTOR 712A DVD-R Burner (Set as Primary MASTER IDE Device)
PLEXTOR 5xxA CD-R Burner (Set as Primary SLAVE IDE Device)
WD 740GD RAPTOR (Plugged into SATA Channel 0)
Maxtor DX740 HDD (Currently unpowered)

MS USB NATURAL MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD
MS USB WIRELESS OPTICAL MOUSE

I purchased a brand new OEM version of WinXP PRO w/ SP1a

All of the hardware except for the Audigy 2ZS and Maxtor is installed. I can boot up fine, and go into the bios.

I tried using the custom Windows XP installation bootdisk from Bootdisk.com - but had problems using the AEFDISK program (I couldn't format the Raptor as an NTFS drive) so I decided to boot from the CD, and have Windows set up NTFS partitions and format the drive. I planned to reboot once the drive was formatted, copy the i386 folder to a directory on the HDD and do a clean install from there.

When I boot off the CD, windows loads its drivers in the dos screen (during which time my keyboard is active.) Then it says "Loading Windows" or something to that effect, and gives me the option of a repair install, quitting, or a full install by pressing "Enter"

The problem is once this screen pops up my keyboard is no longer on. (Numlock/Caps lock light is turned off, and no key presses are not registered.)

I no longer have a PS/2 keyboard - any suggestions? This is really frustrating. (Out of 3 systems built recently, this is the only one I've encountered with this issue.)

I tried enabling PnP OS in the BIOS and there was no difference.

Thanks in Advance.

No - There is no Enable USB Keyboard support option as far as I can tell.

Thanks.

Like said above, the BIOS may be set to find the keyboard via OS...change it to BIOS instead.

edit - just read your post...look for a setting that says OS via teh peripherals menu...change it to bios.

under the advanced tab in the bios.. enable the legacy usb support option if it isnt and try

I changed Legacy support from the default "Auto" to "Enabled" - still a no go :(

Still can't get XP to recognize my keyboard and mouse off of a CD-Boot installation. I created 2 partitions on the Raptor (The only HDD physically hooked up and powered in the system.)

So I tried this: using the custom XP installation bootdisk (from bootdisk.com - WIN98 bootdisk w/ smartdrive + a lot of extras) Booted, Ran fdisk to set up these partitions:

Partition C: is 10GB
Partition D is ~60GB

I then copied the contents of the I386 directory to D:\I386

Then I ran WINNT from D:\I386

Windows copied all of the files fine, and let me continue all the way through the DOS portion of setup. When I reboot to actually start the XP Kernel portion, I hit F6 and install the Promise SATA drives (off of a disk I made from the ASUS MOBO CD). There is a message saying "Starting Windows XP" in the Gray bar at the bottom of the screen, then I get a blue screen of death saying that I should remove any new HDD/HDD Controllers because a technical problem which may damage the computer has been encountered. The screen also says I should run chkdsk /f on the drive, reboot and try again.
There is a set of what appears to be 3 hex addresses at the bottom of the message.

I attempted this too with no success. Any suggestions? (At least now the USB keyboard remains active... If it's not one problem - it's another.)
Thanks Again.

Thanks for all the assistance - problem solved. The PCP&C PSU crapped out. Got an Antec as a temporary replacement. Figured out that I had to plug the Raptor into the SATA RAID 1 header on the motherboard for Windows to properly recognize the drive. I had it plugged into Channel 0, which I assume is for secondary devices. I also purchased an $8 PS/2 Keyboard.

All is well so far...

Back