• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Trouble installing X-fi

t_ski

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 13, 2006
Messages
7,510
I bought a second-hand X-Fi XtremeMusic PCI card to install in my main PC. I turned off the Realtek onboard audio and popped in the card, then installed the latest drivers from Creative:

http://support.creative.com/Downloads/welcome.aspx

The drivers installed fine, and I went into the sound properties to start tweaking things. I saw that the speaker setup was for stereo, so I changed it to 5.1 to match the set I have. The system locked up with a screahing sound, so I had to reset the system. When it booted up, Windows 7 would not load, and I was forced to use Windows repair to get it to load Windows. Ever since then, I cannot install the drivers for the card. Everything looks like it works fine, but the speaker icon in the system tray has a red X and says that there are no speakers connected to the system. The Device Manager shows a Creative Audio card in the system, but will not load the WDM driver. I've tried different drivers from Creative and from Auzentech, tried cleaning with Driver Sweeper and made sure nothing is shorting out against one of my video cards. The only thing else I can think of doing is installing this in my kids' PC, but that's a completely different system running Windows XP, and I won't verify anything with that except the card works (it won't tell me what's wrong with it in my system).

Any other thoughts or suggestions? I'm at a loss... :(
 
do you have the same problem with any other type of drivers like video card, or something, or is it only for this X-fi, have you tired the card in a defrent system like a old PC with XP or Vista
 
I've never had any kind of driver issues with my hardware on this level. I've had an occasional issue in the past with a video driver or two, but nothing like this. And the installation on Windows I'm on now is only about two months old.

As I said in the first post, I can install this in my kids' XP PC, but have not had a chance to yet.
 
I have an xtreme music and a titanium pro and haven't seen either of these issues... I would see if you plug in regular headphones and set it to 5.1 anyway as the left/right front channels will still operate the same... then if you hear the same issue it's the card not the speakers.
 
Well, I installed it in the kids' XP PC and it works fine.
 
ah no i mean have you tired any other drivers after you did the windows repair just to see if its a windows problem or just the crative drivers

oh im sure you did but will ask anyway did you download the right drivers? if you have 64 bit the 64 bit drivers or the 32bit drivers for the 32bit win 7
 
Have you tried a different PCI slot? (IF you have more than one slot)
Sounds like something blew out....

DId you set the speakers to 5.1 mode in your kid's computer, to see if that worked without blowing up?
If that did, then it sounds like something went wrong on your motherboard, but the only way to know for sure is a complete system wipe (or system restore)...
 
ah no i mean have you tired any other drivers after you did the windows repair just to see if its a windows problem or just the crative drivers

oh im sure you did but will ask anyway did you download the right drivers? if you have 64 bit the 64 bit drivers or the 32bit drivers for the 32bit win 7

The other drivers I tried were after the initial trouble, which resulted in me have to use Windows Repair. And yes, I have the 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit and 32-bit drivers for Windows XP 32-bit. From what I can see in the driver package, all drivers for all OS versions are in it.

Have you tried a different PCI slot? (IF you have more than one slot)
Sounds like something blew out....

DId you set the speakers to 5.1 mode in your kid's computer, to see if that worked without blowing up?
If that did, then it sounds like something went wrong on your motherboard, but the only way to know for sure is a complete system wipe (or system restore)...

On my kids' PC I only have a stero speaker setup, not 5.1. I didn't feel like dragging one to the other or vice versa. On my PC, I only have the one PCI slot that is accessible since my video cards are blocking most of them.
 
Well, it looks like I have it working now. When I installed it in my kids' computer, I saw the name of one of the DLL files it was installing, so I searched for that on my PC. I ended up finding about 5 temporary folders that had the different drivers I tried to install. I ran Driver Sweaper again but it did not find anything, so I deleted all those folders. Then I noticed that Driver Sweaper had a new version out (2.6 versus the 2.5 I was using). I dl'ed and installed that and it found a bunch more stuff. Let it run and then rebooted. I installed the latest Creative drivers and rebooted when it finished. (I forgot, but at the end of the install the first time and this time, I lost my G5 mouse and had to continue through the keyboard. Reboot and it was back.) Creative updated ran and dl'ed & installed a bunch more stuff, then another reboot. Finally the speaker icon in the tray was fixed and sound was working. Changing the speaker config to 5.1 also worked.
 
Back
Top