Trouble Installing Windows 7

FMX

Gawd
A hard drive crapped out in this machine and I had to replace both 360GB hard drives with one 250GB. The sizes are not relevant here, I am just throwing that bit of information in. I basically replaced 2 drives with one drive.

This is an HP machine where I am pretty sure the drives were configured for RAID. I also noticed before I took the drives out that there was some Intel Matrix Controller or something that came up before booting into Windows. I received an error that "Hard drive failure is imminent" causing the whole reason to replace the drives.

So I put in the new drive, start setup, and near the end of setup I get this error: "Windows Setup could not configure Windows on this computer’s hardware".

I read the support article that Microsoft has and they suggest two things: to download some Intel driver (I can never find the actual download), or to change the hard drive mode to IDE in the BIOS. I went into the BIOS and can't find any option like that.

The PC is an HP M9150F. Don't know if that will help.

Any ideas?

You will want to keep the hard drive in AHCI mode if possible.

Go to this link >DOWNLOAD< and look at the top 2 rows. You see f6flpy3289.zip and f6flpy6489.zip . Download the appropriate driver name (32 or 64) based on if your OS is 32 or 64 bit, then unzip the file to a USB drive. When you are at the screen to choose the hard drive, select "Load Driver" and point to the USB drive.\

Once you are in Windows, if you want the Intel Storage Matrix icon back, go back to that site and use IATA89ENU.exe. If you don't install IATA89ENU.exe you still gain the benefit of the driver that you loaded during installation you just don't get the little utility to show you the status of the drives. Personally, I do not use the icon as I don't like the extra processes on start up.

Last edited:
You are awesome. Although I did not go that route (I found the original install disc and just use it) I am 99% sure that would have worked. The Microsoft website pointed me to Intel Rapid Share Technology or something along the lines of that.

How did you know to point me to the Matrix driver?

My hard drive crashed recently...So purchased a new Harddrive (replaced the old internal seagate drive with a new one from Western digital) and had to recover to old VISTA version from 2007/2008 using original disks from HP. Got access again to software from MSFT to upgrade to Win 7 which I had previously done in 2009. Previously had done this as an upgrade on top of Vista but this time around since I don't have my old files thought it would be better done as a new install...

Have repeated this several times over the past couple of days but no luck...install gets through almost all steps and in the last step where its completing installation it says "system is not compatible with existing hardware"

Some research led me to this thread and other areas which suggested that this may be as a result of the switch of drives which is now in advanced format...As pointed out by bigdogchris I tried to upgrade to the Intel storage driver but this did not seem to solve the issue...

here is what I know
-- Computer seems to run fine with Vista and the new drive
-- Have verified that the storage driver is configured to operate in RAID mode
-- Have tried to use new intel drivers, but this does not seem to fix things

-- Per MSFT, largely seeing what they are suggesting in their knowledge base article related to this error..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466753

Open the file setuperr.log, and look for lines that resemble these: (DID THIS AND SAW THIS)

2010-09-23 17:34:58, Error [0x0f0082] SYSPRP LaunchDll:Failure occurred while executing 'C:\Windows\System32\scecli.dll,SceSysPrep', returned error code 1208[gle=0x000003e5]
2010-09-23 17:34:59, Error [0x060435] IBS Callback_Specialize: An error occurred while either deciding if we need to specialize or while specializing; dwRet = 0x4b8

In the setupact.log file (INSTEAD OF SEEING THIS EXACTLY....

2010-09-23 17:31:26, Info SYSPRP SPPNP: iaStorV is the function driver for device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&SUBSYS_2819103C&REV_02\3&33FD14CA&0&FA

...SEEING SOMETHING LIKE)

SYSPRP SPPNP: iaStorV is the function driver for device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&SUBSYS_2A6F103C&REV_02\3&11583659&0&FA

Any ideas? Would appreciate any pointers....Does seem related to the swtich to an advanced format drive....but confused as to why it works with recovered image of Vista....Do I need to tweak the BIOS?

Thanks

You will want to keep the hard drive in AHCI mode if possible.

Go to this link >DOWNLOAD< and look at the top 2 rows. You see f6flpy3289.zip and f6flpy6489.zip . Download the appropriate driver name (32 or 64) based on if your OS is 32 or 64 bit, then unzip the file to a USB drive. When you are at the screen to choose the hard drive, select "Load Driver" and point to the USB drive.\

Once you are in Windows, if you want the Intel Storage Matrix icon back, go back to that site and use IATA89ENU.exe. If you don't install IATA89ENU.exe you still gain the benefit of the driver that you loaded during installation you just don't get the little utility to show you the status of the drives. Personally, I do not use the icon as I don't like the extra processes on start up.
My hard drive crashed recently...So purchased a new Harddrive (replaced the old internal seagate drive with a new one from Western digital) and had to recover to old VISTA version from 2007/2008 using original disks from HP. Got access again to software from MSFT to upgrade to Win 7 which I had previously done in 2009. Previously had done this as an upgrade on top of Vista but this time around since I don't have my old files thought it would be better done as a new install...

Have repeated this several times over the past couple of days but no luck...install gets through almost all steps and in the last step where its completing installation it says "system is not compatible with existing hardware"

Some research led me to this thread and other areas which suggested that this may be as a result of the switch of drives which is now in advanced format...As pointed out by bigdogchris I tried to upgrade to the Intel storage driver but this did not seem to solve the issue...

here is what I know
-- Computer seems to run fine with Vista and the new drive
-- Have verified that the storage driver is configured to operate in RAID mode
-- Have tried to use new intel drivers, but this does not seem to fix things

-- Per MSFT, largely seeing what they are suggesting in their knowledge base article related to this error..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466753

Open the file setuperr.log, and look for lines that resemble these: (DID THIS AND SAW THIS)

2010-09-23 17:34:58, Error [0x0f0082] SYSPRP LaunchDll:Failure occurred while executing 'C:\Windows\System32\scecli.dll,SceSysPrep', returned error code 1208[gle=0x000003e5]
2010-09-23 17:34:59, Error [0x060435] IBS Callback_Specialize: An error occurred while either deciding if we need to specialize or while specializing; dwRet = 0x4b8

In the setupact.log file (INSTEAD OF SEEING THIS EXACTLY....

2010-09-23 17:31:26, Info SYSPRP SPPNP: iaStorV is the function driver for device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&SUBSYS_2819103C&REV_02\3&33FD14CA&0&FA

...SEEING SOMETHING LIKE)

SYSPRP SPPNP: iaStorV is the function driver for device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&SUBSYS_2A6F103C&REV_02\3&11583659&0&FA

Any ideas? Would appreciate any pointers....Does seem related to the swtich to an advanced format drive....but confused as to why it works with recovered image of Vista....Do I need to tweak the BIOS?

Thanks

Back